Mary Louisa Seymour
b. 19 December 1828, d. 15 February 1917
- Mary Louisa Seymour was born on 19 December 1828 in New York.
- She married Samuel Brooks Mayfield, son of Ambrose Mayfield and Nancy Brooks, on 12 May 1855 in Montgomery County, Texas, by Rev. J. V. Wright, likely in Danville.
- Evelina Wood wrote on 14 May 1855, to her daughter Lizzie Powell, undergoing treatment for cancer in Murfreesboro, Tennessee: ". . . Mr Mayfield & Miss Seymour were married last evening at three o'clock. Mr Redding gave them a dinner to-day . . . ."
Letter in private collection of B. M. Henwood; original transcription by R. E. Reichardt.
- Samuel Brooks Mayfield and Mary Louisa Seymour appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included Ella Mayfield, Elizabeth Mayfield and M. S. Mayfield.
- The following appeared on 16 April 1862 in The Tri-Weekly Telegraph:
Ed. Telegraph--I beg to acknowledge the receipt of the following articles, contributed for the Hempstead Hospital, by the ladies of Danville and Waverly, through Mrs. Major Green Wood, of Danville, Montgomery county:
278 lbs. lard, 160 lbs. ham, 40 lbs. soap, 6 doz. candles, 88 lbs. butter, 93 doz. eggs, 2 calico spreads, 2 comforts, 12 mattrasses, 30 sheets, 27 pillows, 40 pillow cases, 40 towels, donated by the following persons:
Mrs. Mayfield, Mrs. Hughes, Mrs. Spiller, Mrs. Sessum, Miss Sarah L. Davis, Mrs. Green M. Wood, Mrs. J. M. Leivi, Mrs. Geo. Redding, Mrs. Major Redding, Mrs. Maj. Green Wood, Mrs. McGarr, Mrs. Charles Abercrombie, Mrs. Tryler, Mrs. Dr. Carr, Mrs. W. B. Scott, Miss Thompson, Mrs. Tabb, Mrs. Richard Williams, Waverly; Mrs. Col. Campbell, do; Mrs. Dr. Campbell, do; Mrs. Dr. Scott, do; Mrs. Col. Jno. Hill, do; Mrs. John C. Abercrombie, do; Mrs. Laura A. Scott, do; Mrs. Wm. B. Wood, Danville; Mrs. Wynne, do; Master Solomon Wood; Major Green Wood's servant[s], 31 doz. eggs; Mrs. Green Wood, cash, $10; Miss Sarah L. Davis, $10; Mrs. Dr. Stewart, $5.
Mrs. C. A. Groce,
Principal Hempstead Hospital.
Hempstead, April 10th, 1862.
- Samuel Brooks Mayfield and Mary Louisa Seymour appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Huntsville, Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Ella Mayfield, Elizabeth Mayfield and M. S. Mayfield.
- Samuel Brooks Mayfield and Mary Louisa Seymour appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Palestine, Anderson County, Texas. Other members of the household included Elizabeth Mayfield, M. S. Mayfield, Ida Mayfield, Hamilton Brooks Mayfield and Hattie Mayfield.
- Mary Louisa Seymour became a widow at the 1899 death of her husband Samuel Brooks Mayfield.
- Mary Louisa Seymour died on 15 February 1917 at age 88 in Houston, Harris County, Texas, at 4805 Rose . Her death was officially witnessed by Hattie Mayfield.
- She was interred at Glenwood Cemetery, Houston, Harris County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 25 Sep 2012
Family: Samuel Brooks Mayfield b. circa 1825, d. 1899
- Ella Mayfield b. circa 28 March 1856, d. 16 August 1933
- Elizabeth Mayfield b. 19 December 1857, d. 8 July 1947
- M. S. Mayfield b. circa September 1859
- Ida Mayfield b. circa 1863, d. 27 May 1915
- Hamilton Brooks Mayfield b. circa 1866, d. 2 March 1942
- Hattie Mayfield b. 13 October 1869, d. 13 October 1947