Martha Ryons Magruder
b. 13 May 1809, d. 15 May 1863
- Father: Zadock Magruder b. circa 1766, d. 23 May 1819
- Mother: Tracey Reardon b. circa 1775, d. circa 1868
- Martha Ryons Magruder was born on 13 May 1809 in Georgia.
- She married John McGar, son of Willliam McGar and Eliza Leath, on 2 November 1825 in Richmond County, Georgia, or possibly 4 November.
- John McGar and Martha Ryons Magruder appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Huntsville, Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Josephine Philoqua McGar, Henry Bates McGar, Charles Leith McGar and Estelle McGar.
- The following appeared on 16 April 1862 in The Tri-Weekly Telegraph:
Ed. Telegraph--I beg to acknowledge the receipt of the following articles, contributed for the Hempstead Hospital, by the ladies of Danville and Waverly, through Mrs. Major Green Wood, of Danville, Montgomery county:
278 lbs. lard, 160 lbs. ham, 40 lbs. soap, 6 doz. candles, 88 lbs. butter, 93 doz. eggs, 2 calico spreads, 2 comforts, 12 mattrasses, 30 sheets, 27 pillows, 40 pillow cases, 40 towels, donated by the following persons:
Mrs. Mayfield, Mrs. Hughes, Mrs. Spiller, Mrs. Sessum, Miss Sarah L. Davis, Mrs. Green M. Wood, Mrs. J. M. Leivi, Mrs. Geo. Redding, Mrs. Major Redding, Mrs. Maj. Green Wood, Mrs. McGarr, Mrs. Charles Abercrombie, Mrs. Tryler, Mrs. Dr. Carr, Mrs. W. B. Scott, Miss Thompson, Mrs. Tabb, Mrs. Richard Williams, Waverly; Mrs. Col. Campbell, do; Mrs. Dr. Campbell, do; Mrs. Dr. Scott, do; Mrs. Col. Jno. Hill, do; Mrs. John C. Abercrombie, do; Mrs. Laura A. Scott, do; Mrs. Wm. B. Wood, Danville; Mrs. Wynne, do; Master Solomon Wood; Major Green Wood's servant[s], 31 doz. eggs; Mrs. Green Wood, cash, $10; Miss Sarah L. Davis, $10; Mrs. Dr. Stewart, $5.
Mrs. C. A. Groce,
Principal Hempstead Hospital.
Hempstead, April 10th, 1862.
- Martha Ryons Magruder died on 15 May 1863 at age 54 in Walker County, Texas.
- Her husband John McGar became a widower at her death.
- She was interred at Oakwood Cemetery, Huntsville, Walker County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 29 May 2014
Family: John McGar b. 1 August 1805, d. 20 September 1863
- Sophronia Jane McGar b. 4 February 1828, d. 8 June 1901
- Talbot McGar+ b. 3 June 1832, d. 1 May 1895
- William W. McGar+ b. 7 July 1835, d. 6 November 1901
- John Leith McGar+ b. circa 1837, d. 10 October 1894
- Josephine Philoqua McGar b. 30 April 1840
- Henry Bates McGar b. 27 June 1842, d. 22 October 1922
- Charles Leith McGar b. 15 March 1845, d. 24 June 1900
- Estelle McGar+ b. 24 October 1847, d. 4 December 1930
- Paul McGar b. 29 December 1850, d. 28 June 1894