Peter George Powell
b. 30 January 1836, d. 1 October 1912
- Father: George Francis Powell b. 2 May 1795, d. 7 April 1878
- Mother: Nancy Brown Williamson b. 27 August 1803, d. 18 May 1868
- Peter George Powell was born on 30 January 1836 in Montgomery, Alabama, or 1835.
- George Francis Powell and Nancy Brown Williamson appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Montgomery, Alabama. Other members of the household included Peter George Powell, Sarah E. Powell and Elizabeth J. Powell.
- He married Henrietta Eleanor Falconer, daughter of William Falconer and Nancy Wilder, on 14 February 1855 in Montgomery, Alabama. Henrietta's sister Jane Elizabeth was the mother of Sarah Malloy McEachin, who married Peter George's nephew William Wood Powell..
- Evelina Wood wrote on 5 March 1855, to her daughter Lizzie Powell, undergoing treatment for cancer in Murfreesboro, Tennessee: ". . . How long do you think you will stay in Montgomery? I hope Peter is going to do well in marrying and he will be blessed in a good wife -- Will Bettie come home with you? I hope she will. . . ."
- Peter George Powell and Henrietta Eleanor Falconer appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Ramah, Montgomery County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Bettie Powell, Joshua Abraham Falconer and E. A. Bunting.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1860 census.
- On Tuesday, 7 October 1862, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Paid P. G. Powell Substitute for Wm B. Wood $250 on my Note." [It has not been confirmed, however, whether this was Col. Powell's brother Peter.]
- George Francis Powell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Versailles, Woodford County, Kentucky, and also a cook and a farm hand.. Other members of the household included Peter George Powell, Elizabeth J. Powell, Henrietta Eleanor Falconer, Bettie Powell, William Falconer Powell, Robert Michael Powell and Charles M. Powell.
- He was a farm hand, according to the 1870 census.
- Peter George Powell and Henrietta Eleanor Falconer appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Versailles, Woodford County, Kentucky. Other members of the household included Bettie Powell, Robert Michael Powell, Charles M. Powell and Peter George Powell Jr.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1880 census, living alone.
- Peter George Powell became a widower at the 4 November 1883 death of his wife Henrietta Eleanor Falconer.
- He married Catherine Claggett Wasson circa 1884.
- Peter George Powell died on 1 October 1912 at age 76 in Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky, . His death was officially witnessed by Peter George Powell Jr.
- He was interred at Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky.
- The following appeared on 2 October 1912 in The Lexington Herald: Mr. Peter G. Powell died at his home in Pisgah, Woodford county, yesterday afternoon at 2:30 o'clocki, aged 77 years, of the infirmities of old age. He had been an invalid for the past two years. He is survived by his wife, one brother, Col. P. M. Powell, of St. Louis, Mo., and one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor; three sons, R. M. Powel of Rocky Ford, Col; Charles M. Powell Powell of Birmingham, Ala., and P. G. Powell of Lexington, and one daughter, Mrs. Bettie Powell Rodes of this city.
The funeral services will take place at the home at 1:30 o'clock this afternoon, the Rev. W. O. Shewmaker officiating. Interment will follow in the Lexington cemetery. The pall-bearers will be: Honorary--Dr. R. S. Hart, J. A. Faulkner. Active--Tyler Nash, Robert Wasson, John Wasson, John Gay, Horace Gay, James L. Gay, W. A. Cox and J. W. Garrett.
- Last Edited: 9 Oct 2012
Family 1: Henrietta Eleanor Falconer b. 18 July 1838, d. 4 November 1883
- Nettie Powell b. circa 1856, d. circa 1856
- Bettie Powell+ b. 30 August 1857, d. 25 December 1944
- George Powell b. 3 November 1858, d. say 1859
- William Falconer Powell b. circa 1861, d. 1 June 1873
- Caroline Powell b. circa 1862, d. say 1864
- Robert Michael Powell+ b. August 1865, d. 13 October 1938
- Charles M. Powell+ b. circa 1868, d. 28 January 1947
- Peter George Powell Jr. b. August 1870, d. 29 December 1935