b. 30 August 1857, d. 25 December 1944
- Father: Peter George Powell b. 30 January 1836, d. 1 October 1912
- Mother: Henrietta Eleanor Falconer b. 18 July 1838, d. 4 November 1883
- Bettie Powell was born on 30 August 1857 in Montgomery, Alabama.
- Peter George Powell and Henrietta Eleanor Falconer appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Ramah, Montgomery County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Bettie Powell, Joshua Abraham Falconer and E. A. Bunting.
- George Francis Powell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Versailles, Woodford County, Kentucky, and also a cook and a farm hand.. Other members of the household included Bettie Powell, Elizabeth J. Powell, Peter George Powell, Henrietta Eleanor Falconer, William Falconer Powell, Robert Michael Powell and Charles M. Powell.
- Peter George Powell and Henrietta Eleanor Falconer appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Versailles, Woodford County, Kentucky. Other members of the household included Bettie Powell, Robert Michael Powell, Charles M. Powell and Peter George Powell Jr.
- She married Joseph Waller Rodes, son of J. W. Rodes and Sarah E. Marshall, circa 1882 in Woodford County, Kentucky.
- Joseph Waller Rodes and Bettie Powell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Fayette County, Kentucky. Other members of the household included Henrietta Falconer Rodes, Joseph Waller Rodes Jr., Peter Powell Rodes, Sarah Elizabeth Rodes, William Rodes, Frank Bullock Rodes, Robert Michael Rodes and Sarah E. Marshall.
- Bettie Powell became a widow at the 26 September 1912 death of her husband Joseph Waller Rodes.
- The following appeared on 28 March 1920 in The Lexington Herald-Leader: Mrs. Bettie Powell Rodes announces the engagement of her daughter Elizabeth, to Mr. Richard Carroll Barbee. The marriage will be celebrated on the 22nd of April.
- Bettie Powell died on 25 December 1944 at age 87 in Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky.
- She was interred at Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky.
- The following appeared on 26 December 1944 in The Lexington Herald-Leader: Private funeral services for Mrs. Bettie Powell Rodes, 87, widow of J. Waller Rodes, who died at 3:30 o'clock Monday morning at her home, 330 Melrose Avenue, were to be held at the residence at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon. The Rev. John K. Johnson was to officiate and burial was to be in the Lexington Cemetery.
Mrs. Rodes, a native of Montgomery, Alabama, and a daughter of the late Peter G. Powell, had been a resident of Lexington for 80 years. She was educated at Sayre College and was a charter member of the Maxwell Street Presbyterian Church. Her husband was President of the old Phoenix National Bank.
Survivors include three daughters, Mrs. S.N. Arnold, New York City; Mrs. C.W. Leaphart, Missoula, Mont., and Mrs. R.C. Barbee, Lexington; four sons, J. Waller, William and Robert Rodes, Lexington, and Brig. Gen. Peter P. Rodes, U.S. Army in France; a brother, Charles M. Powell, Lexington, 17 grandchildren, including Joan Rodes, daughter of the late Frank B. Rodes, and five great-grandchildren.
Pallbearers were to be J. Waller, Robert and William Rodes, Richard C. Barbee, Dr. Tom Marks and Falconer and P.G. Powell.
- Last Edited: 16 Jan 2011
Family: Joseph Waller Rodes b. September 1856, d. 26 September 1912
- Henrietta Falconer Rodes+ b. October 1883
- Joseph Waller Rodes Jr.+ b. 1 January 1887, d. 19 November 1974
- Mary McEachin Rodes b. September 1888, d. 19 May 1989
- Peter Powell Rodes b. 10 October 1890, d. 28 September 1966
- Sarah Elizabeth Rodes b. October 1892, d. 1994
- William Rodes b. 7 October 1894, d. 28 January 1946
- Frank Bullock Rodes+ b. 5 July 1896, d. 22 January 1939
- Robert Michael Rodes b. 24 May 1898, d. 25 July 1947