b. August 1840
- Hampton was born in August 1840 in Montgomery County, Alabama, at Greenwood plantation.
- On 26 September 1858, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Hampton a little sick," and on the 28th, "Hampton & Ephraim quite sick."
- On Sunday, 18 January 1863, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Sent off 5 hands to Houston on the second call Genl Magruder - John, Hamp, Ben, Sandy, Wesley & four on the first call making 9 good hands."
- On Sunday, 1 February 1863, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "The negros I sent to work on call of Genl Magruder returned last evening except John & Tom, John Sick at Mr Berreys 12 miles from Houston, Greens Buyo."
- On Tuesday, 3 October 1865, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Yankey Made a speech to the negros, nearly all went over. Nothing done. The Negros worse dissatisfied. Hampton left, run away early this morning." And on the following day, "Abram, Aleck & Richmond run off."
- Following emancipation, Hampton adopted the name Hampton Baltrip.
- He married Celia, daughter of Aimy, on 2 September 1866 in Montgomery County, Texas, with G. S. Sandel, MG, officiating.
- Hampton and Celia appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Annie Baltrip, Gilford Baltrip, Ennis Baltrip, Maxie C. Baldtrip, Hampton Baltrip Jr., Moses Baltrip, Tiny P. Baltrip, Elijah Reese and Aimy.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1880 census.
- Hampton and Celia appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Moses Baltrip, Hampton Baltrip Jr., Elisha Baltrip, Sarah Baltrip, Bettie Baltrip, Robert Baltrip, Lizzie Baltrip and Celia Baltrip. Boarding in the household was farm laborer Moses Jones (age 21) possibly the son of Milton James, although the age is ten years off.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1900 census.
- Children of Guilford and Leah born between 1825 and 1853, were recorded by Green Wood.
- Last Edited: 24 Oct 2015
Family: Celia b. December 1847
- Annie Baltrip b. circa 28 March 1868, d. 13 January 1946
- Gilford Baltrip b. circa 1869
- Ennis Baltrip+ b. circa 1870
- Maxie C. Baldtrip+ b. 19 December 1872, d. 20 January 1963
- Hampton Baltrip Jr. b. 29 November 1877, d. 20 January 1957
- Moses Baltrip+ b. 17 December 1878, d. 25 September 1937
- Tiny P. Baltrip+ b. December 1879, d. 28 April 1941
- Elisha Baltrip+ b. circa 8 August 1882, d. 25 July 1920
- Sarah Baltrip b. 5 May 1884, d. 6 March 1965
- Bettie Baltrip b. October 1885
- Robert Baltrip b. circa 1887
- Lizzie Baltrip b. November 1888, d. 5 October 1972
- Celia Baltrip+ b. 8 January 1891, d. 16 April 1976