b. circa 1817, d. 21 June 1894
- Peter Royal was born circa 1817 in Virginia.
- Peter Royal appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Walker County, Texas, apparently with others boarding in his household.. Other members of the household included Sterling Vaughan. Student Sterling Vaughan, age 20, likely was a brother of Alberto Vaughan whose wife Martha may have been Peter Royal's sister.
- He was a brick mason, according to the 1850 census.
- He married Martha Frances Harrison, daughter of Joseph Percivall Harrison and Lucy Burch, on 8 September 1859 in Walker County, Texas.
- Peter Royal and Martha Frances Harrison appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Huntsville, Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Mary Sanford Reed, Martha Clarana Reed and Katie Bertha Reed.
- He was a brick maker, according to the 1860 census.
- The following appeared on 8 September 1865 in The Houston Tri-Weekly Telegraph: New Appointments by the Governor. . . Walker -- , Chief Justice; W. B. Rome, District Clerk; M. S. Gibbs, County Clerk; Peter Royal, Sheriff.
- Peter Royal and Martha Frances Harrison appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Huntsville, Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Henry Royal, Martha Clarana Reed, Katie Bertha Reed, Robert James Tedford and William Dickson Tedford.
- He was a brick mason, according to the 1870 census.
- Peter and Martha Royal sold property in Walker County on 1 December 1874.
- Peter Royal became a widower at the circa 1875 death of his wife Martha Frances Harrison.
- He married Jane (?) on 22 October 1876 in Walker County, Texas, with John T. Poe, MG, officiating.
- Peter Royal and Jane (?) appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Henry Royal, Sarah E. King and Annie L. King.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1880 census.
- The following appeared on 19 September 1888 in The Galveston Daily News: (Huntsville, Sept. 18) . . . The corner stone of the new Methodist church was laid on the 12th with Masonic ceremonies. . . The present Methodist church was built in the year 1857. . . .
William M. Barrett was the contractor. Messers. Chiles and Eichler worked under him; Sam Reed, Sam Jones and Peter Royal did the brick work; G. W. Rather and J. A. Flether did the painting.
The present seats were paid for by subscription, raised by Dr. T. W. Markham; and the house ceiled overhead by subscription, raised by Dr. G. M. Baker.
The first person buried from the church was Colonel Henderson Yoakum, a public spirited man, and most active in having the church erected, and who paid in final subscription on the day of dedication $250, on proposition of Erasmus Wynne to be one of five to pay the debt. Robert Wynne was one of the five, and paid his subscription in cotton.
- Peter Royal died on 21 June 1894.
- He was interred at Pine Valley Cemetery, Coldspring, Walker (later San Jacinto) County, Texas, or Oakwood Cemetery.
- The following appeared on 23 June 1894 in The Galveston Daily News: (Huntsville, Walker Co., June 22) Mr. Peter Royal, a veteran of the Mexican war, died yesterday at a ripe age.
- Are Peter Royal and Martha Jane Royal siblings?
- Last Edited: 29 Nov 2013
Family 1: Martha Frances Harrison b. circa 1830, d. circa 1875
- Henry Royal+ b. 31 August 1861, d. 19 February 1917