William Martin Barrett
b. circa 1812, d. 18 September 1867
- William Martin Barrett was born circa 1812 in Dinwiddie County, Virginia.
- He married Nancy B. Keenan on 5 December 1847 in Huntsville, Walker County, Texas.
- William Martin Barrett and Nancy B. Keenan appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included John F. Hamilton, Elizabeth Barrett and Alexander McGilvary.
- He was a carpenter, according to the 1850 census.
- Sam Reed entered into an agreement on 31 December 1850 with William M. Barrett to do all the brick work of Austin College, for the sum of $750.00, to be completed by 1 January 1852. The building, whose cornerstone was laid on Saint John's day, 24 June 1851, was constructed of soft sand-molded bricks forged at the state penitentiary. It still stands as "Austin Hall" at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville. Green Wood's son Campbell attended Austin College from 1855 to 1857. Sam Reed's daughter Mattie married Green Wood's grandson Solomon Wm Wood in 1873, and the following year Sam's daughter Katie married Green's grandson Rush Brevard Wood. On 28 November 1851, Green Wood "Paid Daniel Baker $50, my subscription to Austin College."
- William Martin Barrett and Nancy B. Keenan appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Huntsville PO, Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Thomas Keenan Barrett, William N. Barrett and Nancy Belle Barrett.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1860 census.
- William Martin Barrett became a widower at the 1863 death of his wife Nancy B. Keenan.
- William Martin Barrett died on 18 September 1867 in Huntsville, Walker County, Texas, of yellow fever.
- The following appeared on 19 September 1888 in The Galveston Daily News: (Huntsville, Sept. 18) . . . The corner stone of the new Methodist church was laid on the 12th with Masonic ceremonies. . . The present Methodist church was built in the year 1857. . . .
William M. Barrett was the contractor. Messers. Chiles and Eichler worked under him; Sam Reed, Sam Jones and Peter Royal did the brick work; G. W. Rather and J. A. Flether did the painting.
The present seats were paid for by subscription, raised by Dr. T. W. Markham; and the house ceiled overhead by subscription, raised by Dr. G. M. Baker.
The first person buried from the church was Colonel Henderson Yoakum, a public spirited man, and most active in having the church erected, and who paid in final subscription on the day of dedication $250, on proposition of Erasmus Wynne to be one of five to pay the debt. Robert Wynne was one of the five, and paid his subscription in cotton.
- For additional biographical information, see The Handbook of Texas Online.
- Last Edited: 14 Apr 2015