b. 12 March 1841
- Charles was born on 12 March 1841 in Montgomery County, Alabama, at Greenwood plantation.
- Promissory Note from Green Wood to Bolling Hall, dated 5 January 1850
Notation across text of the second page, “Cancelled, Bolling Hall, February 16th, 1855”
State of Alabama, Montgomery County (Deed Book Vol. N, pages 382-383)
Whereas I am indebted to the Estate of the late Doctor Thomas Brown in the sum of Thirty Eight Thousand five hundred and fifty four Dollars and thirty nine cents and to secure the evidence and payment thereof have executed to Bolling Hall Executor of the last will and testament of said Thomas Brown a note of which the following is a copy – “$38,554.39. Twelve months after date, I promise to pay Bolling Hall executor of the Estate of Thomas Brown Dec’d or bearer Thirty Eight Thousand five hundred and fifty four Dollars and thirty nine cents for value received with interest from date – January 5th 1850. “Green Wood.”
Now, therefore, know all men by these Presents, that I Green Wood, for and in consideration of the premises, and to secure the payment of said sum of money in said note mentioned and also in consideration of the sum of One Dollar to me in hand paid by Bolling Hall at and before the Sealing and delivery of these Presents, the receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, have bargained, sold and conveyed, and do by these Presents, bargain, sell and convey unto the said Bolling Hall the following named negroes slaves viz. Neptune & wife Pleasant and her two children Richmond & Butler; Henry and wife Crecy and her five children, Andrew, Sarah, Charles, Sandy and Mahala; Ned, Sylvy, Bill, Stephen, Turner, Warren, Granville; Little Bob and wife Eliza and their three children, Frank, Aleck and an infant not recollected, but believed to be Montgomery. Peter and his wife Darcas and her two children Dilsey and Charity, Peter Quarles, Ben, Hansel, Dave and wife Clarisa; Little Sam and Wife Fereby and her three children Beverly, Alfred and an infant name not recollected [Elbert]; Big Sam and wife Caroline; Jenny and her child Joe, John, Tom; Edmond and wife Ailsey; Maria and her two children Ann and Cass; Mary and her children Jerry, Morris, Sue, Rhoda, Wesley and Jane; Old Bill and wife Margaret and her children Len, Amanda, Harriet, Rose, Smith and an infant name not recollected [Frances]; Big Bob and wife Kizzy and her six children, Matilda, Ben, King, Lucey, Augustus and Cummings; Leah and her nine children Jim, Little Guilford, Archy, Chloe, Abraham, Satan, Jefferson, Dallas and Patsy, and Flora, a child of Patsey; Toby and Hannah and her children Ephraim, Rachel, and two other small children names not recollected; Daniel Adam and wife Caroline and her two children not recollecting their names [Mary and Thornton], and also her children Charles, Adam, Daniel and Oliver; And also another woman Letty. To have and to hold the above bargained and sold negroes to the said Bolling Hall, his executors, Administrators and assigns, Provided always and these presents and this Sale and Conveyance are upon the express condition, not if I the said Green Wood shall pay or cause to be paid and discharged the above mentioned debt with interest at Maturity of said note according to its tenor and effect, then this deed of conveyance and all and every interest title and estate in and to the above named negroes, Shall cease, determine, and be utterly null and void; but otherwise shall remain in full force and virtue. In witness whereof I have hereunto put my hand and affixed my seal this the fifth day of January One Thousand Eight hundred and fifty. Signed sealed and delivered in presence of J. A. Elmore & W. Garrett. Green Wood [seal].
The State of Alabama, City & County of Montgomery
Personally appeared before me William Garrett, a commissioner duly commissioned & qualified a Commissioner to take proofs & acknowledgements of Deeds etc. executed in the State of Alabama, to be read or recorded in the State of Texas: Green Wood, the maker of the foregoing Deed to Bolling Hall, Executor etc. and executed the same by signing, sealing and delivering the same in my presence, on the same day that it bears date – given under my hand and seal this fifth day of January AD 1850. W. Garrett [seal], Commissioner.
- He married Polly on 22 September 1860 in Montgomery County, Texas, at Greenwood plantation, near old Danville.
- On Saturday, 22 September 1860, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Smith & Sylvey, & Charles & Polly married, two Weddings."
- On Saturday, 8 December 1860, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "The old Bays house was raised for Charles & Polly." [Apparently elements of a house on the Bays property that Green purchased were salvaged and reassembled for Charles and Polly.]
- On Saturday, 20 December 1862, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Started 4 hands, Tom, Charles, Laurens & Ephraim to work on public defences. G. M. Wood was Overseer. In all sent from this neighbornood 15 hands." And on Wednesday, the 24th, "Ben returned from carrying baggage to Houston for the hands sent to work on defences."
- On Sunday, 18 January 1863, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Sent off 5 hands to Houston on the second call Genl Magruder - John, Hamp, Ben, Sandy, Wesley & four on the first call making 9 good hands."
- On Sunday, 1 February 1863, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "The negros I sent to work on call of Genl Magruder returned last evening except John & Tom, John Sick at Mr Berreys 12 miles from Houston, Greens Buyo."
- On Wednesday, 13 January 1864, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Sent off 5 negro men to work for government viz Laurens, Tom, Dan, Ephraim & Charles."
- On Tuesday, 7 June 1864, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Campbell Wood started this morning to Virginia, Charles with him."
- On Monday, 27 June 1864, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Campbell Wood left for Virginia, Charles and a packed mule."
- Children of Creacy born between 1837 and 1851, were recorded by Green Wood.
- Child of Polly and Charles born in 1861, was recorded by Green Wood.
- Last Edited: 11 Jun 2014