b. 21 January 1836
- Cloe was born on 21 January 1836 in Montgomery County, Alabama, at Greenwood plantation.
- Promissory Note from Green Wood to Bolling Hall, dated 5 January 1850
Notation across text of the second page, “Cancelled, Bolling Hall, February 16th, 1855”
State of Alabama, Montgomery County (Deed Book Vol. N, pages 382-383)
Whereas I am indebted to the Estate of the late Doctor Thomas Brown in the sum of Thirty Eight Thousand five hundred and fifty four Dollars and thirty nine cents and to secure the evidence and payment thereof have executed to Bolling Hall Executor of the last will and testament of said Thomas Brown a note of which the following is a copy – “$38,554.39. Twelve months after date, I promise to pay Bolling Hall executor of the Estate of Thomas Brown Dec’d or bearer Thirty Eight Thousand five hundred and fifty four Dollars and thirty nine cents for value received with interest from date – January 5th 1850. “Green Wood.”
Now, therefore, know all men by these Presents, that I Green Wood, for and in consideration of the premises, and to secure the payment of said sum of money in said note mentioned and also in consideration of the sum of One Dollar to me in hand paid by Bolling Hall at and before the Sealing and delivery of these Presents, the receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, have bargained, sold and conveyed, and do by these Presents, bargain, sell and convey unto the said Bolling Hall the following named negroes slaves viz. Neptune & wife Pleasant and her two children Richmond & Butler; Henry and wife Crecy and her five children, Andrew, Sarah, Charles, Sandy and Mahala; Ned, Sylvy, Bill, Stephen, Turner, Warren, Granville; Little Bob and wife Eliza and their three children, Frank, Aleck and an infant not recollected, but believed to be Montgomery. Peter and his wife Darcas and her two children Dilsey and Charity, Peter Quarles, Ben, Hansel, Dave and wife Clarisa; Little Sam and Wife Fereby and her three children Beverly, Alfred and an infant name not recollected [Elbert]; Big Sam and wife Caroline; Jenny and her child Joe, John, Tom; Edmond and wife Ailsey; Maria and her two children Ann and Cass; Mary and her children Jerry, Morris, Sue, Rhoda, Wesley and Jane; Old Bill and wife Margaret and her children Len, Amanda, Harriet, Rose, Smith and an infant name not recollected [Frances]; Big Bob and wife Kizzy and her six children, Matilda, Ben, King, Lucey, Augustus and Cummings; Leah and her nine children Jim, Little Guilford, Archy, Chloe, Abraham, Satan, Jefferson, Dallas and Patsy, and Flora, a child of Patsey; Toby and Hannah and her children Ephraim, Rachel, and two other small children names not recollected; Daniel Adam and wife Caroline and her two children not recollecting their names [Mary and Thornton], and also her children Charles, Adam, Daniel and Oliver; And also another woman Letty. To have and to hold the above bargained and sold negroes to the said Bolling Hall, his executors, Administrators and assigns, Provided always and these presents and this Sale and Conveyance are upon the express condition, not if I the said Green Wood shall pay or cause to be paid and discharged the above mentioned debt with interest at Maturity of said note according to its tenor and effect, then this deed of conveyance and all and every interest title and estate in and to the above named negroes, Shall cease, determine, and be utterly null and void; but otherwise shall remain in full force and virtue. In witness whereof I have hereunto put my hand and affixed my seal this the fifth day of January One Thousand Eight hundred and fifty. Signed sealed and delivered in presence of J. A. Elmore & W. Garrett. Green Wood [seal].
The State of Alabama, City & County of Montgomery
Personally appeared before me William Garrett, a commissioner duly commissioned & qualified a Commissioner to take proofs & acknowledgements of Deeds etc. executed in the State of Alabama, to be read or recorded in the State of Texas: Green Wood, the maker of the foregoing Deed to Bolling Hall, Executor etc. and executed the same by signing, sealing and delivering the same in my presence, on the same day that it bears date – given under my hand and seal this fifth day of January AD 1850. W. Garrett [seal], Commissioner.
- Lizzie Wood Powell wrote while being treated for cancer by Dr. R. W. January in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, to her mother Evelina Wood on 2 March 1855, ". . . Chloe has not worn her dresses out, but she burnt one of them very badly. . . . Chloe sends her love to all, particularly to Ella -- Don't let Ella forget us. . ."
Punctuation added to this excerpt by the transcriber for enhanced readability.
- Evelina Wood wrote on 5 March 1855, to her daughter Lizzie Powell, undergoing treatment for cancer in Murfreesboro, Tennessee: ". . . Matilda sews very nicely -- Dilce says tell Miss Lizzie and Mars Wood howdy and says she wants to see you -- Tell Chloe it is rumored that Little [sic] Ben and Rhody are to be married next Saturday night."
- On Thursday, 20 October 1859, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Chloe's child Nelson Born 26th January died, Pneumonia."
- On Tuesday, 13 December 1859, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Raised a cabin for Cloe," and on the 17th, "Making chimney & covering house for Cloe."
- On 18 July 1860, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Cloe had a Son Born."
- On 29 October 1861, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Cloe had a Son Born."
- On 13 January 1864, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Cloe had a Baby."
- On Sunday, 18 September 1864, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Cloe's Daughter Julia died about 1 oclock to day, taken with coldness & Sapsmisms yesterday about 11 oclock & was never able to Speak after."
- On Saturday, 16 December 1865, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Jim, Cloe & Dilcy moved to day."
- Following emancipation, Cloe adopted the name Cloe Moses.
- Cloe appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Walker County, Texas, enumerated near Cloe's brother Gip Gilford and near Green Wood's grandson Solomon William.. Other members of the household included Moses, Ricor, Leah, Henry Moses, Lissie Moses, Maria Moses, Willie Moses and Eddy Moses.
- Children of Guilford and Leah born between 1825 and 1853, were recorded by Green Wood.
- Children of Cloe born between 1856 and 1864, were recorded by Green Wood.
- Last Edited: 5 Aug 2015
- Julia b. 21 July 1856, d. 18 September 1864
- Nelson b. 26 January 1859, d. 20 October 1859
- Moses+ b. 18 July 1860, d. 19 January 1940
- Ricor+ b. 29 October 1861, d. 22 October 1907
- Leah b. 13 January 1864
- Henry Moses+ b. February 1866, d. between 1930 and 1940
- Lissie Moses b. circa 1870
- Maria Moses b. circa 1871
- Willie Moses b. circa 1874
- Eddy Moses b. circa 1876