Elizabeth Ames Wood
b. 19 February 1851, d. 29 March 1918
- Father: Willis Breazeal Wood b. 12 December 1826, d. 15 December 1854
- Mother: Sarah Anne Harris b. 2 September 1828, d. 28 October 1867
- Elizabeth Ames Wood was born on 19 February 1851 in Texas.
- She was known as Lizzie.
- Green Wood recorded in his book of Misc. Financial & Slave Records, an accounting for expenses of LIzzie A. Wood on 5 May 1860, cash handed to S. A. Wood in Galveston ($100.00), cash paid for expenses of Lizzie A. Wood to Galveston to Mr. T. Oliver ($22.00).
- Green Wood and Evelina Alexander Barnes appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Montgomery County, Texas, next to their son William Barnes Wood.. Other members of the household included Elizabeth Ames Wood, Campbell Wood, Ella Abercrombie Wood, Sarah Anne Harris, Eliza Stocks Wood, Charles Harris Wood, Willis Eason Wood and Powell Wood. Green Wood is listed in the 1860 Slave Schedule with 106 slaves (33 of whom were age 10 and younger, and 8 of whom were age 60 and older) and 23 slave houses, for an average of 4-5 persons per cabin.
- On Thursday, 2 August 1860, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Sallie Wood and Eliza A. [and] Campbell Wood left for Kellum Springs, also Mr. A. W. Speight and Lady."
- On Monday, 8 September 1862, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Mrs E. A. Wood & the Girls started on a visit to Mr McGar,s."
- Recorded by Wm Barnes Wood after Green's death in his book of Misc. Financial & Slave Records, among other expenses, "On 10 March 1866": "Tuition, Board, Washing, Entrance fee & stationary (gold) at Ursuline Convent (5) months, for Lizzie Wood, $134.00."
- William Barnes Wood and Cornelia Josephine Mitchell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Danville, Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included Elizabeth Ames Wood, Evelina Wood, Evelina Alexander Barnes, Campbell Wood, Ella Abercrombie Wood, Eliza Stocks Wood and Powell Wood.
- She married Robert Lewis Hill, son of John Hill and Sarah Louisa Traylor, on 21 May 1873 in Montgomery County, Texas.
- Robert Lewis Hill and Elizabeth Ames Wood appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in San Jacinto County, Texas. Other members of the household included Ella Wood Hill, Sarah Josephine Hill, Mary Louise Hill, Colonel John Hill and Eliza Stocks Wood.
- Evelina Wood wrote from Willis, Texas, to her grandson Wood Powell in Christian County, Illinois on 12 April 1887, ". . . Billie went to Huntsville last Thursday. started at 5 o’clock A.M. and returned at 5 P.M. went in his buggie. He dined with Judge Randolph & Eliza. Eliza wrote me a lengthy letter by Billie. About three months she expects a little Randolph. She was 40 years old last January. . . . Lizzie Hill I hear from often, but see her seldom. She stays at home closely, has not been to see Eliza yet. . . ."
Letter in private collection of B. M. Henwood, descendant of Wm Wood Powell, original transcription by R. E. Reichardt.
- Robert Lewis Hill and Elizabeth Ames Wood appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in San Jacinto County, Texas. Other members of the household included Ella Wood Hill, Sarah Josephine Hill, Colonel John Hill, Robert Willis Hill, Lizzie Campbell Hill and Eliza Hill.
- Robert Lewis Hill and Elizabeth Ames Wood appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in San Jacinto County, Texas. Other members of the household included Sarah Josephine Hill and Robert Willis Hill.
- Elizabeth Ames Wood became a widow at the 20 November 1913 death of her husband Robert Lewis Hill.
- Elizabeth Ames Wood died on 29 March 1918 at age 67 in Waverly, Walker (later San Jacinto) County, Texas.
- She was interred at Waverly Cemetery, Waverly, Walker (later San Jacinto) County, Texas.
- A single grave marker identifies the graves of Robert Lewis Hill and Elizabeth Ames Wood.
- Last Edited: 6 Apr 2013
- Charts: Descendants of ABERCROMBIE Charles & Edwina Malinda "Dicey" Booth, Descendants of WOOD William & Lydia Ballentine
Family: Robert Lewis Hill b. 26 March 1846, d. 20 November 1913
- Ella Wood Hill b. 1 March 1874, d. 1 December 1957
- Sarah Josephine Hill b. 21 March 1875, d. 19 December 1942
- Mary Louise Hill+ b. 12 February 1877, d. 1 July 1962
- Colonel John Hill b. 3 July 1879, d. 24 November 1940
- Robert Willis Hill b. 24 March 1884, d. 15 April 1923
- Lizzie Campbell Hill b. 17 November 1886, d. 3 December 1967
- Eliza Hill b. 13 September 1889, d. 3 January 1909