b. 13 March 1831, d. 18 October 1895
- Father: Samuel Washington Lindley b. circa 1788, d. circa 1859
- Mother: Elizabeth Whitley b. December 1795, d. 1838
- James Lindley was born on 13 March 1831 in Bond County, Illinois.
- Samuel Washington Lindley and Martha Taylor appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included James Lindley, John Lindley, Mahala Lindley, Elijah Lindley and Amanda Marie Lindley.
- He married Mary Lee Irvine, daughter of Benjamin Fielding Irvine and Mary Davis Bellesfelt, on 22 November 1853 in Montgomery County, Texas.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1850 census.
- James Lindley and Mary Lee Irvine appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Danville PO, Walker County, Texas, although young Sarah is enumerated in the household of John Hardy, it appears that there is a notation indicating that she should have been included in the Lindley household.. Other members of the household included Samuel Lindley, Elizabeth A. Lindley, William Henry Lindley and Sarah J. Lindley.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1860 census.
- James Lindley became a widower at the 13 November 1882 death of his wife Mary Lee Irvine.
- James Lindley died on 18 October 1895 at age 64.
- He was interred at the old Danville cemetery, Montgomery County, Texas, on present-day Shepard Hill Road, near Willis.
- He was a progenitor of his family historian Richard James Lindley, Jr.
- For an account of his CSA service in Company B, 24th Texas Cavalry Regiment, see his profile in Karen McCann Hett's Danville Mounted Riflemen.
- Last Edited: 1 Dec 2011