Ellen Emeline Mitchell
b. circa 1812, d. 30 May 1837
- Father: John Mitchell b. say 1776, d. 1841
- Mother: Elizabeth Green Wood b. 16 January 1788, d. between 1852 and 1860
- Ellen Emeline Mitchell was born circa 1812 in Georgia based on her published age at death, 27 years.
- In a letter dated 1 October 1826 to Emera Anne Elizabeth Mitchell in Salem, Clark County, Georgia, Ellen Emeline Mitchell wrote from Palmetto Grove, Jones County, Georgia: Esteemed Cousin
It has become my painful duty to inform you of the Death of my beloved Sister Caroline. . . .
Sister Caroline was taken sick the day you left here and died on the 15th. . . .
Cousin Emera, It is very sickly in Jones County at this time Uncle Julius has had a very sever attackt of the Billious fever we thought he would die but he is up and about but his little son is very sick Uncle Cad has 2 children likely to die, Harriotte and Augustus, Cousin Mary Mitchell is very sick. Cousin Mary Moughton is very sick and has lost a son. Mother keeps in good health, but my health and Papa's has been very bad. Excuse bad writing and write soon You must call by as you go on to Alabama Present my love and compliments to Mr Thrasher and except the greatest share for yourself.
Minimal punctuation added by the transcribe to enhance readability. A pencilled note by Emera Thrasher at the end of the letter: "This letter was written by Ellen Mitchell over 50 years ago, her mother was my mother's sister, her father and mine brothers, which makes double cousins. This is the 25 of May 1882." This letter appears here thanks to the generosity of Emera's descendant Charles Ingrum.
- She married William Moughon on 6 February 1828 in Jones County, Georgia.
- Ellen Emeline Mitchell became a widow at the 30 July 1830 death of her husband William Moughon.
- She married Austin M. Walker on 23 May 1834 in Harris County, Georgia.
- The following appeared on 1 June 1834 in The Columbus Enquirer: Married - Harris Co. Ga. 23 May 1834 by Rev. Mr. Hand, Dr. A.M. Walker of Columbus to Miss Ellen E. Moughon, eldest dau of Major John Mitchell.
- Ellen Emeline Mitchell died on 30 May 1837 in Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia.
- Her husband Austin M. Walker became a widower at her death.
- The following appeared on 1 June 1837 in the Columbus Enquirer: Died, this city, 30 May 1837 Mrs. Ellen Emeline, consort of Dr. Austin M. Walker, age 25, 2 children.
- Last Edited: 9 Oct 2011