Charlotte Powe Harrington
b. 12 December 1856, d. 13 September 1936
- Father: Henry William Harrington b. 1 February 1827, d. 14 June 1865
- Mother: Rebecca Irby Pegues b. 6 August 1834, d. 13 September 1918
- Charlotte Powe Harrington was born on 12 December 1856 in Marlboro County, South Carolina.
- Henry William Harrington and Rebecca Irby Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Bennettsville PO, Marlboro District, South Carolina. Other members of the household included Charlotte Powe Harrington, Elizabeth Irby Harrington, James Auld Harrington, Henry William Harrington Jr. and Harriet Eleanor Harrington.
- Alexander Anderson Pollock and Rebecca Irby Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Cheraw, Chesterfield County, South Carolina. Other members of the household included Charlotte Powe Harrington, Elizabeth Irby Harrington, James Auld Harrington, Henry William Harrington Jr., Harriet Eleanor Harrington, Rebecca Sarah Harrington, Ella Harrington, Robert A. Pollock and Nannie Seay Pollock.
- She married Lemuel Drake Harrall, son of James Presley Harrall and Laura Drake, on 15 October 1879.
- Lemuel Drake Harrall and Charlotte Powe Harrington appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Cheraw, Chesterfield County, South Carolina. Other members of the household included Henry Harrington Harrall, Alexander P. Harrall, Annie Laurie Harrall, Charlotte Harrington Harrall and James Pressley Harrall.
- The following appeared on 26 May 1908 in The State: Mrs. L. D. Harrall gave a delightful afternoon to a number of friends on last Friday, entertaining in honor of Misses Janet and Julia McFarlan, who were the honorees at a number of charming social functions during their visit to Cheraw, their old home town.
At the close of a very enjoyable hour, tempting ices were served at daintily appointed tables by Miss Laurie Harrall. Mrs. Harrall's guests were: Misses McFarlan, Marie Lynch, Mary Matheson, Ella Pollock and Mesdames M. W. Duvall, T. E. Wannamaker, L. Harrington, S. V. McIver, W. T. Thrower, W. P. Pollock, H. E. Godfrey, R. I. Pollock, Hartzell, N. Pegues, G. M. Hendrix and Wm. Hickson.
Mrs. M. W. Duvall was the hostess on Saturday afternoon at a mose enjoyable "Piazza party," given in compliment to the visiting guests.
On the broad piazzas which extend around three sides of the house. . . . served by Misses Susie McIver and Margaret Evans.
Those enjoying Mrs. Duvall's well known hospitality were: Mesdames Snyder of Baltimore, H. D. Malloy, S. V. McIver, L. D. Harrall, W. T. Thrower, G. M. Hendrix, E. W. Duvall, L. M. Evans, F. B. P. Pegues, Wm. Hickson, D. S. Matheson and Misses Janet McFarlan, Julia McFarlan of Philadelphia, Mary Matheson, Ella Pollock and Marie Lynch.
- Charlotte Powe Harrington became a widow at the 22 December 1913 death of her husband Lemuel Drake Harrall.
- The following appeared on 27 December 1913 in The State: (Cheraw, Dec. 26) Lemuel D. Harrall died Tuesday morning at the Florence hospital, and was buried Wednesday afternoon in St. David’s churchyard. He had been in failing health more than a year, though at different times he was able to go out and attend to his business. For many years Mr. Harrall was a prominent figure in business circles here, as a merchant and cotton buyer, and he was also, until his health failed, long the clerk and treasurer of Cheraw and was an efficient and popular official.
Mr. Harrall was about 57 years old. He married Miss Lottie Harrington, daughter of the late Henry W. Harrington. He is survived by his wife, three sons, Henry Harrall of Ruby, Alex Har[r]all and James Har[r]all of Cheraw and two daughters, Misses Laurie and Lottie of Cheraw. There are also surviving him three brothers, Walter Harrall of Norfolk, Va., Thomas P. Harrall and Henry W. Harrall of Cheraw, and one sister, Mrs. Mary H. Reid of Washington.
- The following appeared on 15 April 1917 in The State: (Cheraw, April 14) Mrs. Lemuel Drake Harrall announces the marriage of her daughter, Charlotte Harrington, to William Prentiss Walker, on Thursday, april 12, St. David's church, Cheraw.
At home after April 25 at Timmonsville.
- Charlotte Powe Harrington died on 13 September 1936 at age 79 in Cheraw, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
- She was interred at Old Saint David's Episcopal Church Cemetery, Cheraw, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
- Last Edited: 11 Apr 2016