Lemuel Drake Harrall
b. 13 January 1854, d. 22 December 1913
- Father: James Presley Harrall b. 9 September 1818, d. 9 July 1906
- Mother: Laura Drake b. 12 November 1825, d. 17 January 1908
- Lemuel Drake Harrall was born on 13 January 1854 in South Carolina.
- He married Charlotte Powe Harrington, daughter of Henry William Harrington and Rebecca Irby Pegues, on 15 October 1879.
- The following appeared on 13 June 1896 in The State: The secretary of State yesterday issued a commission to the South Carolina Braiding company of Cheraw. The capital stock is to be $50,000, divided into shares at $100 each. The corporators are C. L. Ramsdell of Scituate, R. I; George L. Downing and Ernest A. Palmer of Providence, R. I; W. P. Pollock, E. W. Pegues, R. D. Harrall and T. E. Wannamaker of Cheraw. The company proposes to manufacture cotton roping, braiding and similar goods. [Note that R. D. Harrell may actually be Lemuel D. Harrell, brother-in-law of Wm Pollock, Waddill Pegues and Theodore Wannamaker.]
- Lemuel Drake Harrall and Charlotte Powe Harrington appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Cheraw, Chesterfield County, South Carolina. Other members of the household included Henry Harrington Harrall, Alexander P. Harrall, Annie Laurie Harrall, Charlotte Harrington Harrall and James Pressley Harrall.
- He was a salesman, according to the 1900 census.
- Lemuel Drake Harrall died on 22 December 1913 at age 59 in Florence County, South Carolina.
- His wife Charlotte Powe Harrington became a widow at his death.
- He was interred at Old Saint David's Episcopal Church Cemetery, Cheraw, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
- The following appeared on 27 December 1913 in The State: (Cheraw, Dec. 26) Lemuel D. Harrall died Tuesday morning at the Florence hospital, and was buried Wednesday afternoon in St. David’s churchyard. He had been in failing health more than a year, though at different times he was able to go out and attend to his business. For many years Mr. Harrall was a prominent figure in business circles here, as a merchant and cotton buyer, and he was also, until his health failed, long the clerk and treasurer of Cheraw and was an efficient and popular official.
Mr. Harrall was about 57 years old. He married Miss Lottie Harrington, daughter of the late Henry W. Harrington. He is survived by his wife, three sons, Henry Harrall of Ruby, Alex Har[r]all and James Har[r]all of Cheraw and two daughters, Misses Laurie and Lottie of Cheraw. There are also surviving him three brothers, Walter Harrall of Norfolk, Va., Thomas P. Harrall and Henry W. Harrall of Cheraw, and one sister, Mrs. Mary H. Reid of Washington.
- Last Edited: 12 Apr 2016