Robert Horton Rutland
b. 29 January 1914, d. 12 July 1964
- Father: James Richard Rutland b. 8 November 1879, d. 13 January 1948
- Mother: Hulda Mary Horton b. February 1887, d. 4 August 1928
- Robert Horton Rutland was born on 29 January 1914 in Auburn, Lee County, Alabama.
- James Richard Rutland and Hulda Mary Horton appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Auburn, Lee County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Robert Horton Rutland, James Richard Rutland Jr., Hulda Rutland and Frances Susan Rutland.
- James Richard Rutland appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Auburn, Lee County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Robert Horton Rutland, James Richard Rutland Jr. and Hulda Rutland.
- He married Mary Louise Torbert, daughter of James Everett Torbert and Louise Beall Adams, on 9 March 1940 in Demopolis, Marengo County, Alabama, by license issued the 2nd in Jefferson County, with Rev. F. E. Jordan officiating. At the time, the groom was residing at 1225 South 29th Street in Birmingham, emp0loyed by the FHA as an architectural inspector, and the bride was residing at 1749 27th Street in Ensley, employed as a cashier.
- The following appeared on 25 March 1940 in The Alabamian of Alabama College, the State College for Women, Montevallo: Recent weddings of alumae include those of: . . . Mary Louise Torbert, ex-'37, to Robert Horton Rutland of Auburn, March 14.
- Mary Louise Torbert and Robert Horton Rutland appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Birmingham, Jefferson County, Alabama, at 1225 29th Street. In 1935, he ws living in Auburn and she in Demopolis.
- He was employed as an architectural inspector of federal housing, according to the 1940 census.
- Robert H. Rutland was listed in the 1st and 2nd editions of the AIA American Architects Directory, 1956 and 1962.
- Robert Horton Rutland died on 12 July 1964 at age 50 in Montgomery, Alabama.
- His wife Mary Louise Torbert became a widow at his death.
- He was interred at Greenwood Cemetery, Montgomery, Alabama.
- The following appeared on 14 July 1964 in The Anniston Star: (Montgomery) Funeral services are scheduled today for Robert Horton Rutland, director of the State Building Commission and former state pole vault champion.
Rutland, a resident of Montgomery for 17 years, died unexpectedly Saturday night.
He was graduated from Auburn University in 1934 with a degree in architectural engineering. He was s Southeastern Conference pole vault champion during his senior year.
- Last Edited: 28 Jan 2017
- Charts: Descendants of ADAMS Felix Grundy & Huldah Ann Shields, Descendants of PEGUES Claudius & Marcia Saunders, Descendants of TORBERT Anthony & Margaret Simpson
Family: Mary Louise Torbert b. 13 March 1915, d. 30 May 2015
- Robert Horton Rutland Jr. b. 16 July 1942, d. 1 January 1972
- James Torbert Rutland b. 3 October 1945, d. 27 September 1988