James Richard Rutland Jr.
b. circa 1912, d. 8 February 1973
- Father: James Richard Rutland b. 8 November 1879, d. 13 January 1948
- Mother: Hulda Mary Horton b. February 1887, d. 4 August 1928
- James Richard Rutland Jr. was born circa 1912 in Auburn, Lee County, Alabama.
- James Richard Rutland and Hulda Mary Horton appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Auburn, Lee County, Alabama. Other members of the household included James Richard Rutland Jr., Robert Horton Rutland, Hulda Rutland and Frances Susan Rutland.
- James Richard Rutland appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Auburn, Lee County, Alabama. Other members of the household included James Richard Rutland Jr., Robert Horton Rutland and Hulda Rutland.
- J. R. Rutland, Jr., was listed in 1st and 2nd editions of the AIA American Architects Directory, 1956 and 1962.
- James Richard Rutland Jr. died on 8 February 1973 in Mobile, Alabama.
- He was interred at Pine Crest Cemetery, Mobile, Alabama.
- The following appeared on 9 February 1973 in The Mobile Register: James Richard Rutland Jr., age 61, died Thursday at a local hospital after a lengthy illness. Rutland, a native of Auburn, Ala., had resided in Mobile for the previous 30 years.
He was an architect for institutional buildings in the Mobile area.
He was a member of the Lion's and several mystic societies. Rutland was also a retired lieutenant colonel with the Corps of Engineers (Army Reserve) veteran of World War II. He was a member of the St. Francis Street Methodist Church.
Funeral services will be held at Radney Funeral Home at a time to be announced.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Rosemary Zimlich Rutland; one son, James Richard Rutland III of Mobile; three daughters, Mrs. Lucy Duncan of Seabreeze, Fla., Mrs. Judy Platt of Montgomery, and Mrs. Linda Johansen of Atlanta, Ga; one sister, Mrs. Hulda Smith of Auburn; and three grandchildren.
- Last Edited: 24 Feb 2014