b. circa 1798
- William Vawter was born circa 1798 in Woodford County, Kentucky.
- William Vawter, enumerated in the 1810 census in Versailles, Woodford County, Kentucky, likely was the father of William born about 1798. Jesse and Edmond F. Vawter, also in Versailles, appear to have been sons of the elder William.
- He married Sarah Neave, daughter of Jeremiah Neave and Elizabeth Merrefield.
- William Vawter became a widower at the 19 September 1838 death of his wife Sarah Neave.
- The following appeared on 9 October 1838 in The Cincinnati Daily Gazette: [Died] In Miami county [sic], Missouri, on the 19th ult., of congestive fever, Mrs. Sarah N. Vawter, wife of Mr. William Vawter, and youngest daughter of the late Jeremiah Neave, of this city.
- He married Amanda (?) circa 1839.
- William Vawter and Amanda (?) appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1840 in Union Township, Monroe County, Missouri. Other (counted but unnamed) members of the household apparently included Jane Neave Vawter.
- William Vawter and Amanda (?) appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Monroe County, Missouri. Other members of the household included Jane Neave Vawter. Also in the household were William's second wife Amanda (age 40) and children Alfred (age 10), James H. (8), Thomas P. (7), William F. (6) and John M. (1). It is an educated guess that daughter Jane is identified as son James N. Vawter (age 14). While family lore has it that she was living with her uncle Charles Neave in Cincinnati until 1855, she is not enumerated in his household in 1850.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1850 census.
- Research Notes: See The Vawter Family in America, by Grace Vawter Bicknell, Indianapolis: The Hollenbeck Press, 1905), esp. page 8. Also, History of Woodford County, by William E. Railey (Frankfort: Roberts Printing Co., 1928), esp. page 142.
- Last Edited: 22 Jul 2015
Family 1: Sarah Neave b. 5 January 1804, d. 19 September 1838
- Jane Neave Vawter+ b. 16 January 1837, d. 16 September 1922