b. 21 October 1766, d. 11 August 1831
- Elizabeth Merrefield was born on 21 October 1766 in Fordingbridge, Hampshire, England, as recorded by the Monthly Meeting of Ringwood and Fordingbridge.
- She married Jeremiah Neave, son of Alexander Neave and Sarah (?), on 13 August 1789 in Fordingbridge, Hampshire, England, as recorded by the Monthly Meeting of Ringwood and Fordingbridge.
- At a Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia held 27th of 4th month 1804. . . .
Certificates as follow were presented, read and receoved -- viz:
One from Devonshire House Monthly Meeting, London, dated the 6th of the 9 month [6 September 1803] last, and directed to the Northern District Monthly Meeting in this City or elsewhere in North America, for Jeremiah Neave, Elizabeth his wife, and their five infant Chilcren, Thompson, Elizabeth-Merrefield, Alexander, Hannah and Charles -- who have settled within our limits. . . .
- At a Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia held 24th of 9th month 1807 . . .
A testimony in the case of Jeremiah Neave being prepared was agreed to as follows, a Copy whereof is directed to be forwarded to him by the Committee with information of his right to appeal.
"Jeremiah Neave, late of this City, who had a right of membership amongst us, became so embarrassed in his circumstances as to be unable to discharge his debts, in this situation, he secured some of his Creditors to the injury of the others, for which it became our concern to treat with him, in order to raise in his mind a just sense of the nature of such conduct; but our labours herein not having the desired effect, we testify that he hath separated himself from us, and that we no longer consider him a member of our religious society, until from a conviction of his error he become qualified to condemn the same, and seek to be restored, which is our desire."
- Jeremiah Neave and Elizabeth Merrefield appeared in the US federal census of 6 August 1810 in Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky. Other (counted but unnamed) members of the household apparently included Charles Neave and Sarah Neave. Also recorded in the household were four other children (two boys and two girls) and two slaves.
- Elizabeth Merrefield became a widow at the 6 May 1824 death of her husband Jeremiah Neave.
- Charles Neave appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1830 in Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio. Other (counted but unnamed) members of the household apparently included Elizabeth Merrefield, Sarah Neave.
- Elizabeth Merrefield died on 11 August 1831 at age 64 in Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio.
- She was interred at Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, removed from Methodist Cemetery, Catherine Street, 20 May 1853.
- Last Edited: 22 Jul 2015