Peter Gustavus Williamson
b. 15 June 1839, d. 6 September 1863
- Father: Robert McAlpin Williamson b. 9 September 1804, d. 22 December 1859
- Mother: Mary Jane Edwards b. circa 1817, d. 17 November 1856
- Peter Gustavus Williamson was born on 15 June 1839 in Washington County, Texas, or 19 June.
- Robert McAlpin Williamson and Mary Jane Edwards appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Washington County, Texas. Other members of the household included Peter Gustavus Williamson, Julia Rebecca Williamson, Jack Hemphill Williamson, Willie Annexus Williamson and C. M. Williamson.
- P. G. Williamson enlisted as a private on 2 August 1861 near Harrisburg, Texas, by Capt. R. M. Powell, Company D, 5th Texas Infantry Regiment. He was admitted to Chimborazo Hospital No. 4, in Richmond, Virginia on 10 November 1861 with Diarrhoea, and returned to duty on 12 November. He was wounded in battle at Sharpsburg, Maryland, 17 September 1862 and admitted on 4 October to Chimborazo Hospital in Richmond, and returned to duty on 8 December 1862. He was transferred to Texas Hospital on 18 February 1863. He was missing at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, 2 July 1863, captured, admitted to Camp Letterman General Hospital on 31 July 1863 with a fractured right knee and thigh, amputation, and died there of hemmorhage. Buried grave 15, 7 Sec, General Hospital burying ground.
- Captain "Mike" Powell wrote to his young sister-in-law Ella Wood on 6 April 1862, from Camp Wigfall, near Fredericksburg, Virginia. He ended the four-page letter, "We are all enjoying fine health now & are very anxious to see Lt. Hill return with our recruits. Your bro' Campbell is getting very fat, Bose not so fat as he used to be, & Pete Williamson looks like a Dutchman that drank a gallon of Lager beer every day. We all want to go home very much but not until the war is over. If I never come home you must tell Wood that you are to take care of him & that he must love you & wait on you as long as he lives, & when war comes he must fight for his country & not stay at home. Give my love to your father and mother & all the family, Your Bro' Mike."
- Peter Gustavus Williamson died on 6 September 1863 at age 24 in Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania.
- Research Note: A list of the Williamson children has survived to the present day, preserved by Powell family descendants.
- Last Edited: 19 Feb 2012