Mary Jane Edwards
b. circa 1817, d. 17 November 1856
- Father: Gustavus E. Edwards b. circa 1789, d. after 1856
- Mary Jane Edwards was born circa 1817 in Kentucky.
- She married Robert McAlpin Williamson, son of Peter Ballentine Williamson and Rebecca Ann McAlpin, on 21 April 1837.
- The following appeared on 9 May 1837 in the Houston Telegraph & Texas Register: [Married] On the 21st of April last, by the Hon. Thomas Barnet, His Honor R. M. WILLIAMSON, judge of the third judicial district, to Miss MARY JANE, daughter of Col. Gustavus E. Edwards, of the county of Austin.
- Robert McAlpin Williamson and Mary Jane Edwards appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Washington County, Texas. Other members of the household included Peter Gustavus Williamson, Julia Rebecca Williamson, Jack Hemphill Williamson, Willie Annexus Williamson and C. M. Williamson.
- Her husband Robert McAlpin Williamson became a widower at her death.
- Mary Jane Edwards died on 17 November 1856 in Independence, Washington County, Texas.
- The following appeared on 10 December 1856 in The Southern Intelligencer: Departed this life on Monday morning the 17th inst., at ten minutes past one o'clock, at Independence, Mrs. Mary Jane, wife of Hon. R. M. Williamson, age 37 years.
- The following appeared on 13 December 1856 in the Texas State Gazette: We regret to learn that the wife of the Hon. R. M. Williamson of Independence. She was the daughter of Col. G. E. Edwards, who came to Texas as early as 1822. She was present during the severe struggles of the Texas revolution, and to her praise be it spoken took an active part in them. As the wife of Mr. Williamson, she raised four sons and two daughters, all of whom are still living. Few mothers are more deeply lamented or friends whose decease has caused such universal sympathy and grief.
- Research Note: A list of the Williamson children has survived to the present day, preserved by Powell family descendants.
- Last Edited: 22 Oct 2015
Family: Robert McAlpin Williamson b. 9 September 1804, d. 22 December 1859
- Hoxey C. Williamson b. 27 March 1838
- Peter Gustavus Williamson b. 15 June 1839, d. 6 September 1863
- Julia Rebecca Williamson b. 6 February 1841, d. April 1867
- Jack Hemphill Williamson b. 25 February 1843, d. 1867
- Willie Annexus Williamson+ b. 13 January 1845, d. 15 June 1903
- C. M. Williamson b. 11 August 1849
- James Williamson b. June 1851