Charles H. Ramsdell
b. 21 February 1842, d. 13 July 1903
- Father: Charles Ramsdell b. circa 5 May 1807, d. 22 December 1863
- Mother: Sarah Jane Marshall b. 20 February 1814, d. 18 October 1881
- Charles H. Ramsdell was born on 21 February 1842 in Nashua, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, or 1841.
- Charles Ramsdell and Sarah Jane Marshall appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Lawrence, Essex County, Massachusetts. Other members of the household included Charles H. Ramsdell, Augusta H. Ramsdell, Henrietta Rebecca Ramsdell and Adeline French Ramsdell. Also in the household were twelve others who apparently were boarders.
- Charles Ramsdell and Sarah Jane Marshall appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included Charles H. Ramsdell, Augusta H. Ramsdell, Henrietta Rebecca Ramsdell, Adeline French Ramsdell and Francis S. Curtis.
- Charles H. Ramsdell (recorded as C. Ramsdale, C. Ranndale, Chas. H. Ransdell) joined for duty and enrolled at age 21 on 8 January 1862 at Camp Hebert in Waller County near Hempstead, Texas (125 miles to rendezvous), in Capt. T. B. Shannon's Company, 21st Regiment Carter's Brigade Texas Mounted Volunteers (1st Texas Lancers), which became Company C, 21st Texas Cavalry Regiment. He enrolled for the period of the war, and appeared as a private on the company muster-in roll at Camp Hebert on 26 February 1862. The company muster roll for 31 August 1862 to 28 February 1863, dated 9 April 1863, indicates that he was last paid to 31 August, but not stated whether he was present or absent. A register of payments to discharged soldiers indicates that he was discharged and paid on 22 March 1963.
- Charles H. Ramsdell registered to vote on 23 September 1867 in Montgomery precinct, Montgomery County, Texas. The Voter Registration record reveals that he was born in New Hampshire and had for eight years been a resident of Montgomery precinct.
- He married Augusta Fredonia Halley, daughter of Robert Bonner Halley and Lydia Anderson Ederington, on 3 September 1874.
- Charles H. Ramsdell and Augusta Fredonia Halley appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Salado, Bell County, Texas, and also in the household widowed aunt Elizabeth Dubose, age 52.. Other members of the household included Charles William Ramsdell and Mimmie Ramsdell.
- He was a merchant, according to the 1880 census.
- Charles H. Ramsdell and Augusta Fredonia Halley appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Brazoria County, Texas. Other members of the household included Charles William Ramsdell, Robert Leroy Ramsdell, Frederick Lee Ramsdell, Marshall Albert Ramsdell and Alice Emma Ramsdell.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1900 census.
- Charles H. Ramsdell died on 13 July 1903 at age 61 in Alvin, Brazoria County, Texas.
- His wife Augusta Fredonia Halley became a widow at his death.
- Last Edited: 9 Nov 2012
Family: Augusta Fredonia Halley b. 24 November 1850, d. 19 August 1918
- Lena Halley Ramsdell b. say 1875, d. 27 May 1876
- Charles William Ramsdell+ b. 4 April 1877, d. 3 July 1942
- Mimmie Ramsdell b. 25 April 1880, d. 28 September 1883
- Robert Leroy Ramsdell+ b. 18 March 1882, d. 5 July 1953
- Frederick Lee Ramsdell+ b. 29 November 1884, d. September 1972
- Marshall Albert Ramsdell+ b. 4 April 1887, d. 22 February 1954
- Alice Emma Ramsdell+ b. 10 November 1889, d. 13 October 1976