Sarah Olivia Pegues
b. 18 October 1905, d. 3 January 1987
- Father: Frank Wilds Pegues b. 16 November 1871, d. 27 November 1939
- Mother: Emma Catherine Witsell b. 24 October 1872, d. 11 April 1951
- Sarah Olivia Pegues was born on 18 October 1905 in South Carolina.
- Frank Wilds Pegues and Emma Catherine Witsell appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Smithville Township, Marlboro County, South Carolina. Other members of the household included Sarah Olivia Pegues, Frank Wilds Pegues Jr. Also in the household, and assistant manager of the farm, was Katie's brother H. R. Witsell (age 33.)
- Frank Wilds Pegues and Emma Catherine Witsell appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Cheraw, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, at Market Street enumerated next to the household of his his cousin Benjamin Franklin Pegues.. Other members of the household included Sarah Olivia Pegues, Frank Wilds Pegues Jr.
- Frank Wilds Pegues and Emma Catherine Witsell appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in New Hope, Marlboro County, South Carolina, at South Carolina Road. Other members of the household included Sarah Olivia Pegues. Also in the household were two servants.
- She was a public school teacher, according to the 1930 census.
- She married John Fletcher Pegues, son of John Randolph Pegues and Lennie Manship. They were second cousins once removed. Fletcher's paternal grandfather John Fletcher Pegues was a brother of Sarah's father's paternal grandfather Wesley Leatherwood Pegues..
- She officially witnessed the death of Infant Son Pegues on 2 March 1941 at Marlboro County General Hospital in Bennettsville, Marlboro County, South Carolina.
- The following appeared in a local newspaper: (Cheraw, April 13) F. W. (June) Pegues, 40, died suddenly at his home here tonight.
The son of Mrs. F. Wilds Pegues and the late Mr. Pegues, he had lived here most of his life and was widely known throughout Chesterfield and Marlboro counties.
Besides his mother, he is survived by his widow, the former Miss Mary Stackhouse of Little Rock, and one sister, Mrs. Fletcher Pegues, all of Cheraw.
Funeral services will be held at 3:30 tomorrow afternoon.
- She officially witnessed the death of Emma Catherine Witsell on 11 April 1951 in Cheraw, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
- The following appeared on 9 July 1958 in The Florence Morning News: (Cheraw) John Fletcher Pegues, 60, died Tuesday afternoon at his home. He had been in poor helath for several years.
Funeral services will be held at his home on Green St. Wednesday at 5 p.m. The Rev. John Barr of the St. David's Episcopal Church will officiate. Burial will be in the family plot of New Hope Cemetery.
Son of the late John Randolph and Lennie Mae Manship Pegues, he was born in Marlboro County but moved to Cheraw in 1917 where he had made his home since.
Survivors are his widow, Mrs. Sarah Pegues; one son, John WildSarah Olivia Pegues Pegues and one sister, Miss Emily Pegues, all of the home. The family requested that memorials be omitted.
- Sarah Olivia Pegues died on 3 January 1987 at age 81.
- She was interred at New Hope Methodist Church Cemetery, Wallace, Marlboro County, South Carolina.
- Last Edited: 10 Aug 2015