John Fletcher Pegues
b. 5 September 1897, d. 8 July 1958
- Father: John Randolph Pegues b. 4 June 1851, d. 17 June 1904
- Mother: Lennie Manship b. 7 February 1868, d. 8 October 1899
- John Fletcher Pegues was born on 5 September 1897 in Smithville Township, Marlboro County, South Carolina.
- He was known as Fletcher.
- Willis Bryan Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Smithville Township, Marlboro County, South Carolina. Other members of the household included John Fletcher Pegues, Martha Estell Pegues and Emily Louise Pegues.
- Martha Estell Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Smithville Township, Marlboro County, South Carolina. Other members of the household included John Fletcher Pegues, Preston Brooks Pegues and Emily Louise Pegues.
- John Fletcher Pegues registered for the draft on 12 September 1918 in Chesterfield County, South Carolina, while living in Cheraw, and employed there as an auto mechanic by Cheraw Motor Sales Company.
- Martha Estell Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Cheraw, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, at Green Street. Other members of the household included Fletcher Pegues, Emily Louise Pegues. Martha is identified as Patsey Pegues, age 57, and nephew John Fletcher is identified only as "Pegues," age 22.
- The following appeared on 18 January 1920 in The State: (Cheraw) Fletcher Pegues is on a visit to the Middle West.
- He was employed by a garage, according to the 1920 census.
- John Fletcher Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas, at 150-1/2 North Main Street lodging in the rooming house of Mary A. Shields.
- He was employed as an automobile mechanic by an automobile agency, according to the 1930 census.
- He married Sarah Olivia Pegues, daughter of Frank Wilds Pegues and Emma Catherine Witsell. They were second cousins once removed. Fletcher's paternal grandfather John Fletcher Pegues was a brother of Sarah's father's paternal grandfather Wesley Leatherwood Pegues..
- John Fletcher Pegues died on 8 July 1958 at age 60.
- He was interred at New Hope Methodist Church Cemetery, Wallace, Marlboro County, South Carolina.
- The following appeared on 9 July 1958 in The Florence Morning News: (Cheraw) John Fletcher Pegues, 60, died Tuesday afternoon at his home. He had been in poor helath for several years.
Funeral services will be held at his home on Green St. Wednesday at 5 p.m. The Rev. John Barr of the St. David's Episcopal Church will officiate. Burial will be in the family plot of New Hope Cemetery.
Son of the late John Randolph and Lennie Mae Manship Pegues, he was born in Marlboro County but moved to Cheraw in 1917 where he had made his home since.
Survivors are his widow, Mrs. Sarah Pegues; one son, John WildJohn Fletcher Pegues Pegues and one sister, Miss Emily Pegues, all of the home. The family requested that memorials be omitted.
- Last Edited: 27 Feb 2015