Mary Elizabeth Adams
b. 7 October 1906, d. 21 December 1989
- Father: Powell Orgain Adams b. 3 July 1869, d. 4 March 1943
- Mother: Mary Laurence Taber b. 1 February 1880, d. 17 February 1965
- Mary Elizabeth Adams was born on 7 October 1906 at Milam County, Texas.
- She was known as Elizabeth.
- Powell Orgain Adams and Mary Laurence Taber appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Cameron, Milam County, Texas, at Roberts Street Also living in the household were boarders Mattie and Minnie Edwards.. Other members of the household included Mary Elizabeth Adams, Marcellus Powell Adams, Walter Brooks Adams, Alice Louise Adams and Arthur Taber Adams.
- Powell Orgain Adams and Mary Laurence Taber appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Cameron, Milam County, Texas, at East Fifteenth Street. Other members of the household included Mary Elizabeth Adams, Marcellus Powell Adams, Walter Brooks Adams, Alice Louise Adams, Arthur Taber Adams and George Felix Adams.
- The following appeared on 12 January 1928 in The Cameron Herald: Miss Elkizabeth Adams, teacher in the Oklahoma school, near Gause, returned to her work Monday morning after spending the week end with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. P. O. Adams.
- The following appeared on 27 December 1928 in The Cameron Herald: Mr. and Mrs. P. O. Adams had as their guests during the holidays their daughter and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Daly of Houston, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Adams and baby of Lampasas, Walter Adams of San Antonio and Miss Elizabeth Adams, who teaches at the Oklahoma School near Gause.
- Powell Orgain Adams and Mary Laurence Taber appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Waco, McLennan County, Texas, at 2825 Morrow Avenue. Other members of the household included Mary Elizabeth Adams, Arthur Taber Adams and George Felix Adams. Also in the household was roomer Kenneth Wiley.
- Powell Orgain Adams and Mary Laurence Taber appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Waco, McLennan County, Texas, at 2214 McKenzie. Other members of the household included Mary Elizabeth Adams, Alice Louise Adams.
- She was employed as a substitute teacher by the State Home for Dependent and Neglected Children, according to the 1940 census.
- The following appeared on 20 August 1942 in The Cameron Herald: Five local students at Southwest State Teachers College in San Marcos ftrom Milam county will receive their degrees on Tuesday, August 19th it is disclosed by a recent issue of the College Star, publication of the college.
First on the list is Mary Elizabeth Adams, daughter of P. O. Adams, once a business man in Cameron. She was born and reared here.
. . .
There are 140 candidates for Bachelor of Science Degrees and 20 for Master Degrees.
- The following appeared on 11 March 1943 in The Cameron Herald: P. O. Adams, 70, former business man here, died at his home in Waco from a heart stroke late Thursday.
Funeral Services were held at 3pm from the Methodist Church in Cameron Friday with the Rev. Bob L. Pool, Pastor conducting the services. Interment was had in Oak Hill Cemetery with the Green Funeral Home directing arrangements.
Mr. Adams is survived by his widow and 5 children. Three sons are Jack Adams, Arthur Adams, and George Adams. Two daughters are Elizabeth and Louise. The family of children were reared in Cameron.
Mr. Adams at one time was engaged in business here. About 20 years ago he was owner of a wholesale knitting goods business in Cameron. He left this city about 13 years ago.
Mr. Adams was a civic leader here and much of the progress of the city in those days can be traced to his energy and foresight. He was a member of the Methodist Church and many old time friends here are deeply affected by his death.
- The following appeared on 7 August 1953 in The Waco News-Tribune: Among the out-of-town guests who will arrive to attend the wedding of Miss Sharon Daly and James Thomas Mansfield Saturday, 8 p. m., are Dr. and Mrs. Guy Witt and Mr. and Mrs. John Mace Adams, all of Dallas.
Other out-of-town guests include the uncle and aunt of the bride, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur T. Adamss of Chicago, and daughter Linda; Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Witt of Houston; Mr. and Mrs. Clint Blackmon of Fort Worth; Mr. and Mrs. M. P. Adams and daughter Marcia of Lampasas; Miss Elizabeth Adams, Mrs. Lila Bessonette, Mr. and Mrs. Barney Mansfield all of San Antonio; Miss Nancy Moffett of Dilly; Miss Virginia Dare Smith, Messrs. and Mesdames John Ward, Roy Byrd all of Austin; Mr. and Mrs. Dabney Biggers of Abilene, Mr. and Mrs. J. Eber Flinn of Cameron.
Wedding rehearsal will take place Friday evening in Austin Avenue Methodist Church at 7 p. m. Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Mansfield of Austin, parents of the bridegroom, will be hosts for dinner following the rehearsal at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. Louise A. Daly, 1308 North Fifteenth Street.
- Mary Elizabeth Adams died on 21 December 1989 at age 83 in McLennan County, Texas.
- She was interred at Oakwood Cemetery, Waco, McLennan County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 10 Jan 2016