Laura Ellen Hair
b. 27 December 1861, d. 6 July 1968
- Father: Joseph Pinckney Hair
- Mother: Henrietta Jane Johnston
- Laura Ellen Hair was born on 27 December 1861 in Anderson, Grimes County, Texas, or the 12th.
- She was educated at Baylor Female College, at Texas graduating 1881.
- She married William H. Haynie, son of Uriah H. Haynie and Cecelia H. Runnels, on 20 December 1883 in Grimes County, Texas.
- William H. Haynie and Laura Ellen Hair appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Anderson, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Tennye Haynie, Imogene C. Haynie and William Herbert Haynie.
- The following appeared on 2 December 1906 in The Galveston Daily News: (Anderson) Mrs. Laurie Haynie returned last week with her husband, Dr. William H. Haynie, from San Antonio. Dr. Haynie has been several months in San Antonio for his health, which has not improved.
- Laura Ellen Hair became a widow at the 1907 death of her husband William H. Haynie.
- The following appeared on 29 December 1907 in The Galveston Daily News: (Anderson) Mrs. Laura Haynie and her daughters, Misses Tennye and Imogen Haynie, returned home from their little journeys abroad in time to share the Christmas festivities of our little town.
- Laura Ellen Hair appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Lampasas, Lampasas County, Texas, at 1402 Chestnut Street. Other members of the household included William Herbert Haynie, Tennye Haynie, Walter Andrew Isaacks and Andrew Haynie Isaacks.
- Jesse Waldo Garvin and Imogene C. Haynie appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Laura Ellen Hair.
- The following appeared on 9 November 1961 in the Gilmer Mirror: A Baylor "ex" from Gilmer whose one hundredth birthday is in December has written University officials that a broken hip forced her to decline an invitation to attend Homecoming events last Friday and Saturday.
. . . Mrs. Haynie--then Laura Ellen (Lottie) Hair, was awarded the Maid of Arts degree from Waco University, which later became Baylor University at Waco, in 1881. Dr. R. C. B. Burleson was president.
Her father was joseph Pinckney Hair and a grandfather was Dr. Jonas Johnston, a Baptist minister who pioneered for Christian education in Texas. He was one of the owners of the "Texas Christian Herald." Mrs. Haynie was a member of the First Baptist Church of Waco when its pastor was Dr. B. H. Carroll.
Mrs. Haynie married Dr. W. H. Haynie, a physician and surgeon, on Dec. 20, 1883. Her one hundredth birthday will be observed on Dec. 27. Her daughter is Mrs. Immie Garvin, of Gilmer and her granddaughter is Mrs. Harry Aldredge. Mrs. Haynie resides at Oak Lawn Convalescent Home.
- Laura Ellen Hair died on 6 July 1968 at age 106 in Gilmer, Upshur County, Texas.
- She was interred at Oak Hill Cemetery, Lampasas, Texas.
- The following appeared on 11 July 1968 in the Gilmer Mirror: Mrs. Laura E. Haynie, who was 106 years old, died Saturday at 5 a.m. at Nightingale Nursing Home here.
She was the oldest living graduate of Baylor University and Upshur County's oldest resident at the time of her death.
Mrs. Haynie, grandmother of Mrs. Harry Aldredge of Gilmer, attended Baylor Female College when it was located at Old Independence where her roommate was Mrs. Eli Moore Townsend. She graduated from Baylor in Waco in 1881.
Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the First Baptist Church in Lampasas, where she resided after her husband's death until 1955. At that time, she resided with her daughter, the late Mrs. Imogen Garvin, first in Bryan. In 1956 both of them moved to Gilmer.
She married Dr. W. H. Haynie on Dec. 20, 1883, at Anderson, Tex. He was a physician there and died in 1908. They had three children, all now deceased, W. H. Haynie, Mrs. Garvin and Mrs. Tennye Haynie. Surviving are seven grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren and 13 great, great-grandchildren.
She was a member of the First Baptist Church of Lampasas and active in its affairs as long as her health permitted. Even at the age of 100, in Gilmer, she had an alert mind and listened to various special radio programs in her convalescent home room.
- A single grave marker identifies the graves of William H. Haynie and Laura Ellen Hair.
- Last Edited: 23 Mar 2014
Family: William H. Haynie b. October 1857, d. 1907
- Tennye Haynie+ b. 31 December 1884, d. 15 March 1965
- Imogene C. Haynie+ b. 12 October 1888, d. 10 February 1966
- William Herbert Haynie+ b. 18 January 1893, d. 17 July 1967