b. circa 1830, d. 1887
- Margaret Gow was born circa 1830 in New York.
- She married Robert Hill Cleghorn, son of John Cleghorn and Mary Affegh, circa 1847.
- Robert Hill Cleghorn and Margaret Gow appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Lewiston, Niagara County, New York. Other members of the household included Ida Cleghorn, John C. Cleghorn, Mary Jean Cleghorn, Margaret Cleghorn, Alexander G. Cleghorn and Robert Cleghorn. Also in the household was one female domestic servant.
- Robert Hill Cleghorn and Margaret Gow appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Lewiston, New York. Other members of the household included Mary Jean Cleghorn, Margaret Cleghorn, John C. Cleghorn, Alexander G. Cleghorn, Robert Cleghorn, George A. Cleghorn and Maud Cleghorn.
- Robert Hill Cleghorn became a widower at her death.
- Margaret Gow died in 1887.
- She was interred at Oakwood Cemetery, Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York.
- The following appeared on 8 May 1941 in The Patriot & Free Press: After an illness of a number of months John C. Cleghorn, a farmer who had resided in the vicinity of Black Creek for many years, died at his home on Jackson Hill last Friday. The funeral was held there Sunday, conducted by the Rev. Clarence B. Gilbert of Cuba Baptist Church with burial in Cuba Cemetery.
Mr. Cleghorn was born at Lewiston, Sept. 29, 1854, the son of Robert and Margaret Gow Cleghorn, who were natives of Scotland. On April 27, 1887, he was married at Lewiston to Barbara Stahle of Suspension Bridge. They lived at Lewiston and Lockport before removing to this county 35 years ago.
Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Cleghorn: Gertrude, Mrs. Frank Smith, Shinglehouse, Pa; Wallace, Black Creek; Ruth, wife of Dr. E. M. Fainer of Los Angeles, Cal; Harold J., Yorkshire; Laurence E., Rochester; Oliver M., at home; Walter L. (deceased); Robert B., Olean; Ida, Mrs. Hugh Barber, Black Creek. Mr. Cleghorn also leaves 22 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Five brothers and sisters survive, the eldest being Mrs. Ida Hewitt of Niagara Falls, 92, who attended the funeral; two of Mr. Cleghorn's family live in Iowa and two in California.
On April 27 Mr. and Mrs. Cleghorn observed their 54th wedding anniversary, when all their living children and families, except the daughter residing in California, were present.
- Last Edited: 8 Feb 2014
Family: Robert Hill Cleghorn b. May 1823, d. 1903
- Ida Cleghorn b. circa 1849, d. 6 March 1945
- Mary Jean Cleghorn b. circa 1851
- Margaret Cleghorn b. circa 1853
- John C. Cleghorn+ b. 29 September 1854, d. 2 May 1941
- Alexander G. Cleghorn b. 29 August 1856, d. 17 December 1940
- Robert Cleghorn b. July 1862
- George A. Cleghorn b. 3 February 1864, d. 16 March 1963
- Maud Cleghorn b. May 1868