Ester Elizabeth Brodnax
b. 23 January 1861, d. 31 July 1948
- Father: Thomas Whitaker Brodnax b. circa 16 July 1818, d. 16 July 1874
- Mother: Caroline Elizabeth Bonneau b. 28 August 1824, d. 6 January 1912
- Ester Elizabeth Brodnax was born on 23 January 1861 in Mansfield, DeSoto Parish, Louisiana.
- Thomas Whitaker Brodnax and Caroline Elizabeth Bonneau appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Mansfield PO, DeSoto Parish, Louisiana. Other members of the household included Ester Elizabeth Brodnax, John Robert Brodnax, Thomas Whitaker Brodnax Jr., William B. Brodnax and Hugh Brodnax.
- William B. Brodnax and Courtney Jennetta Wilson appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in San Augustine County, Texas. Other members of the household included Ester Elizabeth Brodnax, Edna Cornelia Brodnax, Mary Olive Brodnax, Caroline Elizabeth Bonneau and Paul DeWitt Brodnax.
- She married James Thomas Peace, son of Henry Theophilus Peace and Sarah Jane Youngblood, on 15 November 1882 in Hemphill, Sabine County, Texas.
- James Thomas Peace and Ester Elizabeth Brodnax appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Sabine County, Texas. Other members of the household included Mattie Olive Peace, Florence Ruby Peace, Henry Theophilus Peace, Mary Ann Peace, Hilda Iris Peace, Hugh Peace, Lillian Claire Peace and Caroline Elizabeth Bonneau.
- James Thomas Peace and Ester Elizabeth Brodnax appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Zavala County, Texas. Other members of the household included Florence Ruby Peace, Henry Theophilus Peace, Mary Ann Peace, Hilda Iris Peace and Lillian Claire Peace.
- Ester Elizabeth Brodnax became a widow at the 22 December 1919 death of her husband James Thomas Peace.
- The following appeared on 1 September 1936 in The Alexandria Town Talk: [Died] On Saturday, August 29, 1936, at 2:30 a. m. at the home of his daughter in Brookland, Tex., John R. Brodnax aged 89 year. He is survived by three daughters, Mrs. P. C. Hychembottom, Winnfield, La; Mrs. B. T. Sompayrac, Alexandria, La; Mrs. W. L. Cooper, Brookland, Tex; five sons, Eugene and Herbert of Alexandria, La; Grover, Hodge, La; Lane, Elmer, La; and Grady, Shreveport, La; two brothers, Paul, Hemphill, Tex; Whittier, Uvalde, Tex; two sisters, Mrs. Ollie Porter, Mansfield, La; and Mrs. Hess Peace, Uvalde, Tex.
Funeral services were held Sunday morning, Aug. 30, at Henderson's cemetery, Boyce, La.
- Ester Elizabeth Brodnax died on 31 July 1948 at age 87 in Uvalde, Uvalde County, Texas, at Merritt Hospital . Her death was officially witnessed by Florence Ruby Peace.
- She was interred at Edgewood-Woodlawn Cemetery, Batesville, Zavale County, Texas.
- The following appeared in a local newspaper: Batesville was saddened when they learned of the passing of one of their beloved citizens Saturday night at the Merritt Hospital in Uvalde. Mrs. Peace moved to Zavala Co. in 1905 with her husband and family. She was converted and joined the Christian Church in 1886. Funeral services were held at the Batesville Baptist Church Monday afternoon with Pastor T. D. Dunaway in charge. He was assisted by Rev. J. Wm. Mason, son-in-law of Mrs. Peace. The large crowd and profusion of flowers attest the esteem of this beloved one. She was buried by the side of her husband Jas. T. Peace at the Batesville cemetery.
- Last Edited: 11 Feb 2016
Family: James Thomas Peace b. 19 January 1860, d. 22 December 1919
- Mattie Olive Peace+ b. 8 September 1883, d. 15 October 1966
- Florence Ruby Peace b. 27 April 1885, d. February 1973
- Henry Theophilus Peace b. 13 July 1887, d. 13 February 1962
- Mary Ann Peace+ b. 29 July 1890, d. 3 October 1981
- Hilda Iris Peace b. 24 June 1892, d. 25 March 1979
- Hugh Peace b. 6 September 1895, d. 5 May 1974
- Lillian Claire Peace+ b. 18 February 1898, d. 16 December 1979
- James Theodore Peace b. 14 June 1901, d. January 1979