Harry Elliot Norton
b. 3 July 1913, d. 22 June 2014
- Father: Irving Elliot Norton b. 25 October 1879, d. 25 August 1957
- Mother: Almira Tuttle b. 14 June 1882, d. 19 June 1947
- Harry Elliot Norton was born on 3 July 1913 in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin.
- The following appeared on 8 April 1934 in The Milwaukee Journal: Mr. and Mrs. Alfred H. Zimmerman, N. Woodburn st., announce the engagement of their daughter, Harriet Anne, to Harry E. Norton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Irving Norton, N. Cramer st. Miss Zimmerman attended Prospect Hall and Mr. Norton, Marquette university.
- The following appeared on 31 August 1934 in The Milwaukee Journal: Friday night Miss Harriet Ann Zimmerman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred H. Zimmerman, N. Woodburn st., will exchange wedding vows with Harry E. Norton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Irving Norton, N. Cramer st. The Rev. Ira Grey will officiate at the ceremony at Shorewood Presbyterian church.
Miss Betty Zimmerman, sister of the bride, and Harold Shane will be the only attendants.
A small reception at the Zimmerman home will follow the ceremony.
- He married Harriet Ann Zimmerman on 31 August 1934 in Shorewood, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, at Shorewood Presbyterian Church, with Rev. Ira Grey officiating.
- He was employed by a retail department store as a stove service man, according to the 1940 census.
- The following appeared on 20 June 1947 in The Milwaukee Journal: Mrs. Almira Norton, 65, a Milwaukee county resident for 43 years, died Thursday at her home, 4475 N. Cramer st., following a brief illness. She formerly lived near Campbellsport, Wis.
Mrs. Norton was a charter member of the Shorewood Presbyterian church, a member of the Shorewood Band Mothers' club and a former member of the Royal Neighbors of America.
She is survived by her husband, Irving E; a son, Harry; a step-daughter, Mrs. Pearl Davis, and a sister, Mrs. William Warmbler, all of Milwaukee, and two brothers, Earl Tuttle and Ransom Tuttle, both of Fond du Lac.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Shorewood Presbyterian church, E. Kenmore pl. and N. Oakland av. Burial will be in Graceland cemetery. The body will be at the Fass funeral home, 3601 N. Oakland av., until 9 a.m.
- The following appeared on 26 August 1957 in The Milwaukee Journal: Irving E. Norton, 77, of 4473 N. Cramer st., Shorewood, a retired machine operator, died Sunday at Columbia hospital after a stroke.
Mr. Norton lived in Shorewood 40 years. He was employed by Globe-Union, Inc., 17 years before retiring nine years ago.
Mr. Norton was a charter member and a deacon of North Shore Presbyterian church. He also was a member of Shorewood Masonic lodge, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Square M club at Globe-Union.
A son, Harry E., is the only immediate survivor.
Services will be held at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Fass funeral home, 3601 N. Oakland av., Shorewood. Burial will be in Graceland cemetery.
- Harry Elliot Norton became a widower at the 24 July 2004 death of his wife Harriet Ann Zimmerman.
- Harry Elliot Norton died on 22 June 2014 at age 100 in Winconne, Winnebago County, Wisconsin.
- The following appeared on 24 June 2014 in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Harry Elliot Norton, long time major Milwaukee department store executive, passed on just days before his 101st birthday.
Harry was the husband of Harriet, who preceded him in death in 2004. He is survived by his sons, Jim and Dick; daughters-in-law, Linda and Marti; grandchildren, Pam, Polly, Doug, Cheryl, James; and eleven great-grandchildren. He was a charter member of the North Shore Presbyterian Church in Shorewood, where he served on many committees and as an Elder and Deacon over the years. He was also a member of the Shorewood Masonic Lodge.
Harry was an avid fisherman and photographer, and he could build and repair anything in his workshop. He was a tireless caregiver for his wife, Harriet, for ten years. A memorial service will be held on Wednesday, June 25, 2014, at 11:00 a.m. at the North Shore Presbyterian Church, Shorewood. There will be no visitation prior to the service. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests memorials to the church at 4048 Bartlett Ave. Shorewood, WI 53211. . . . Mueller Funeral Home, Winneconne, (920) 582-4242.
- Last Edited: 17 Jul 2017