Harry Trousdale Smith
b. 1 February 1897, d. 23 May 1980
- Father: Joseph Albert Smith b. 2 March 1872, d. 15 November 1937
- Mother: Mary Elizabeth Brown b. April 1877, d. 3 April 1930
- Harry Trousdale Smith was born on 1 February 1897 in Cairo Bend, Wilson County, Tennessee.
- Joseph Albert Smith and Mary Elizabeth Brown appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Wilson County, Tennessee, enumerated one household away from Joseph Albert's parents. Other members of the household included Harry Trousdale Smith, Aubrey Norman Smith and Herschel Warren Smith. Boarding in he household was farm laborer Alex Woods, age 16.
- Joseph Albert Smith and Mary Elizabeth Brown appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Wilson County, Tennessee, at Old Cairo Bend Road. Other members of the household included Harry Trousdale Smith, Aubrey Norman Smith, Herschel Warren Smith, Claude Albert Smith and Valeria Smith.
- He married Lillian Howard Mann, daughter of Henry Morris Mann and Lillian Lee Howard, on 22 July 1916 in Wilson County, Tennessee.
- Harry Trousdale Smith registered for the draft on 5 June 1918 in Wilson County, Tennessee, while living with his wife Lillian in Lebanon, and self-employed there.
- Harry Trousdale Smith and Lillian Howard Mann appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Wilson County, Tennessee. Other members of the household included Charles John Smith and Herschel Warren Smith.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1920 Census.
- Harry Trousdale Smith and Lillian Howard Mann appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Birmingham, Jefferson County, Alabama, at 7514 Second Avenue South. Other members of the household included Charles John Smith and Harry Raymond Smith.
- The following appeared on 10 April 1930 in The Lebanon Democrat: Mrs. Albert Smith, age 53, a native of Wilson county, died at her home on the Trousdale Ferry Pike about 5 o’clock Thursday morning. Funeral services were conducted from the Lebanon Baptist church with the Rev. George Ramsey of Smith county, and the Rev. Charles Yelton of Mt. Juliet in charge of the services.
Mrs. Smith, who before her marriage was Miss Mary Eliza Brown, was a member of the Cedar Grove Baptist church. She had been in ill health since last July but her death came as a shock to her friends here.
Surviving her are her husband and the following children, Aubrey, Harry, Herschell, Claud and Valere Smith. One sister, Mrs. Herman Holman, and two brothers, Wallace and Robert Brown, also survive.
- He was employed as a life insurance salesman, according to the 1930 census.
- The following appeared on 18 July 1931 in The San Antonio Light: The body of Miss Valeria Smith, 26, who died at a local hospital Friday morning, has been sent to Lebanon, Tenn., for burial.
Miss Smith was a native of Labanon, and had lived in San Antonio for 14 months. Surviving are: Her father, Albert Smith, of Lebanon; three brothers, Hersch Smith, of Lebanon, Harry Smith, of Birmingham, Ala., and Claude Smith, of San Antonio; also one half-brother, L. A. Norman, of Jennings, La.
- Harry Trousdale Smith and Lillian Howard Mann appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, at 186 North Highland Avenue NE. Other members of the household included Charles John Smith and Harry Raymond Smith.
- He was employed as a life insurance agent, according to the 1940 census.
- Harry Raymond Smith registered for the draft in Fulton County, Georgia, while a student at Georgia Tech, living in a dormitory there in Atlanta. Contact: H. J. Smith, 645 North Highland (Apt. 4), Atlanta.
- Harry Trousdale Smith died on 23 May 1980 at age 83 in Fulton County, Georgia.
- His wife Lillian Howard Mann became a widow at his death.
- He was interred at Westview Cemetery Mausoleum, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia.
- The following appeared on 9 October 2015 in The Lebanon Democrat: Jo Ann Smith Snider. Funeral services for Ms. Snider will be held Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015 at 1 p.m. from the Ligon & Bobo Funeral Home with Brother Todd Elliott officiating. Interment will follow in Conatser Cemetery. Pallbearers will be Bubba Denson, Billy Denson, Adam Smith, Randy Hankins, Chuck McCrary and Matt Smith. Visitation will be Friday from 4-8 p.m. and Saturday after 11 a.m.
Ms. Snider, age 80, of the Rome community, died Oct. 7, 2015 at University Medical Center.
Born in Wilson County, she was the daughter of the late Joseph Albert Smith and Lillian Roberta Hobbs Smith. She was a nurse technician at McFarland Hospital for 21 years. She attended Berea Church of Christ.
She was preceded in death by her brother, Robert Smith; four half-brothers, Hershel, Harry, Claude and Aubrey Smith; and half-sister, Valira Smith.
She is survived by her four sons, Albert Lee (Jean) Snider, Robert Carson Snider, Thomas Daniel (Shirley) Snider, George Baxter Snider; and sister, Mary Denson.
Special thanks goes to her many caregivers over the years.
- Last Edited: 22 Feb 2016
Family: Lillian Howard Mann b. 27 December 1898, d. 12 February 1982
- Charles John Smith+ b. 14 September 1919, d. 29 December 1987
- Harry Raymond Smith+ b. 29 June 1922, d. 22 February 1966