Alice Lee Matthews
b. 31 August 1848, d. 18 January 1928
- Alice Lee Matthews was born on 31 August 1848 in North Carolina.
- She married Archibald Rowland Campbell, son of John Wesley Campbell and Ann Williamson Clark, on 23 November 1869 in Galveston County, Texas, by license issued on the 13th.
- Archibald and Alice Campbell have not yet been found in the 1870 census.
- Archibald Rowland Campbell and Alice Lee Matthews appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Galveston, Texas, at ?471? East Broadway. Other members of the household included Alice Lee Campbell, Flora McQueen Campbell, Bessie Clark Campbell, Maud M. Campbell, Sarah Wiggins Campbell and Samuel Williams Campbell. Nephew Sam Campbell is the brother of Mary and Nannie Campbell found in the nearby 1880 household of Archibald's brother Clark, all children of Archibald's brother Marcus.
- The following appeared on 13 March 1887 in the Galveston Daily News: Of the many agreeable entertainments given in the city this season none have been more delightful or more thoroughly enjoyed than the luncheon givin by Mrs. A. R. Campbell yesterday complimentary to her niece Miss Mary Farirs [sic]. the fair friends present were Misses Maggie Thompson, Lucie Campbell, Mary Pope, Willie Rowena Williams, Lillian Mott, Sarah Campbell, Laura Ballinger, Jennie Bingham, Alice Hagood, Louise Hertford, Corinne Willie and Kate Briggs. The kind hostess left nothing undone toward the enjoyment of her guests, and the luncheon will be remembered by its participants as a bright page in the history of their young lives.
- Archibald Rowland Campbell and Alice Lee Matthews appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Galveston, Texas, at 1515 Avenue J. Other members of the household included Maud M. Campbell, Sarah Wiggins Campbell, Archibald Rowland Campbell and Bryant Kittrell Goree.
- Archibald Rowland Campbell and Alice Lee Matthews appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Galveston, Texas, at 1515 Avenue J. Other members of the household included Archibald Rowland Campbell.
- Archibald Rowland Campbell and Alice Lee Matthews appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Galveston, Texas, at 1515 Avenue J. Other members of the household included Archibald Rowland Campbell, Katherine Wilson Rountree, Katherine Rountree Campbell and Archibald Rowland Campbell Jr.
- Alice Lee Matthews became a widow at the 1 May 1920 death of her husband Archibald Rowland Campbell.
- Alice Lee Matthews died on 18 January 1928 at age 79 in Galveston, Texas, at 1515 Broadway at her residence.
- The following appeared on 18 January 1928 in the Galveston Daily News: Mrs. Alice Campbell, 80, widow of the late A. R. Campbell, died at her residence, 1515 Broadway, at 1 o'clock this morning. Funeral arrangements will be announced later. Mrs. Campbell is survived by a son, A. R Campbell Jr; a sister, Mrs. P. M. Rugely of San Antonio, and seven grandchildren.
And on the following day:
Funeral services for Mrs. Alice Campbell, who died at her residence, 1515 Broadway, early yesterday morning, will be held from the residence at 3 o'clock this afternoon, with Rev. H. M. Kellam officiating. Interment will be at Episcopal Cemetery. Active pallbearers will be: Henry Adriance, Frank French, Arnie Campbell, Dr. W. R. Fisher Jr., Dr. Reid Robinson, Dr. Boyd Reading, Asa Crow and Will Bidor of Houston.
- She was interred at Trinity Episcopal Cemetery, Galveston, Texas.
- Last Edited: 6 Jul 2013
Family: Archibald Rowland Campbell b. 8 May 1841, d. 1 May 1920
- Alice Lee Campbell+ b. November 1870, d. between 1900 and 1910
- Flora McQueen Campbell b. 19 June 1873, d. 3 February 1881
- Bessie Clark Campbell b. 22 February 1876, d. 10 February 1881
- Maud M. Campbell b. 15 August 1877, d. 23 December 1901
- Sarah Wiggins Campbell b. 23 February 1880, d. 7 September 1902
- Archibald Rowland Campbell+ b. 3 August 1888, d. 14 December 1985