Amanda M. Kilbee
b. 9 November 1817, d. 18 March 1899
- Amanda M. Kilbee was born on 9 November 1817 in Georgia.
- She married Wylie Pope Clark, son of John Clark and Nancy Williamson, on 30 July 1833 in Marianna, Jackson County, Florida.
- The following appeared in a Columbus newspaper: Wylie Pope Clark married Amanda M. Kilbee 30 July 1833 at Marianna, Florida. The service was performed by Rev. R. B. Kerr.
- Wylie Pope Clark and Amanda M. Kilbee appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1840 in Jackson County, Florida Territory. Other (counted but unnamed) members of the household apparently included John Clark and Rebecca L. Clark.
- Amanda M. Kilbee became a widow at the 31 October 1842 death of her husband Wylie Pope Clark.
- She married John Gibbs Ruan, son of John Ruan and Elizabeth Gibbs, on 22 May 1845 in Marianna, Jackson County, Florida.
- The following appeared on 4 June 1845 in the Columbus Inquirer: [Married] In Marianna, Florida, on the 22nd ultimo, by the Rev. Mr. Baker, Mr. John G. Ruan, merchant at Apalachicola, to Mrs. Amanda M. Clark, of the former place.
- John Gibbs Ruan and Amanda M. Kilbee appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Franklin County, Florida. Other members of the household included Rebecca L. Clark, Susan Mary Clark, Mary Eliza Ruan, John Gibbs Ruan, William R. Ruan and William Rodman Ruan.
- John Gibbs Ruan and Amanda M. Kilbee appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Apalachicola, Franklin County, Florida. Other members of the household included Mary Eliza Ruan, John Gibbs Ruan, William R. Ruan, Laura Caroline Ruan, Annie Campbell Ruan, Martha Rodman Ruan, Rebecca L. Clark, Susan Mary Clark and William Rodman Ruan. Physician Robert Williamson, age 55, was is living nearby.
- Amanda M. Kilbee became a widow at the 28 October 1868 death of her husband John Gibbs Ruan.
- Amanda M. Kilbee appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Apalachicola, Franklin County, Florida. Other members of the household included Mary Eliza Ruan, William R. Ruan, Laura Caroline Ruan, Annie Campbell Ruan, Martha Rodman Ruan and Susan Mary Clark.
- Amanda M. Kilbee appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia, at 109 First Street. Other members of the household included Mary Eliza Ruan, John Gibbs Ruan, Annie Campbell Ruan, Martha Rodman Ruan, Rebecca Tinsley, Addison Tinsley Ruan, Rebecca Tinsley Ruan and John Gibbs Ruan Jr.
- On 18 April 1885, Amanda M. Kilbee wrote to Ann Williamson Clark:
My Dear Sister,
It has been a long time since I wrote you but I always love dearly to hear from you and all your children. Twice Susie has sent me your letters to read which I assure you gave me great pleasure to hear how all yr children and grand children were getting along, My own children are all well, Eliza & Annie C are at home with me. Susie you know is in Atlanta and Mattie is still living in Selma Ala. My two Sons are still in the cotton business and seem to be doing very well. John has five Children, all well but the youngest, which is quite a delicate child, we think from having whooping caught when very young. He is nearly two years old. All the Johnstons and Mrs. Butler are well, but Mrs. Butler health is very poor generally. Carrie Johnston, now Mrs. Duncan, has a Son. I have just written to Susie and enclosed a letter from my sister Mrs. Myrick who lives in Marianna, in which Col. McLennan asks for your address. He is a lawyer living in Marianna and says he thinks your Fathers Estate own about 1000 (one thousand) acres of land which has been lately sold to the R R company and that if proper steps were taken would be worth something to his Gen Clarks heirs, unless Bared by the Statute of limitation, Tell Archie it will be something he can look into. I am sorry I do not know his first name or his enitials -- but will send your address this afternoon and hope you will soon hear from him. Have you the titles to the one acre reserved around the grave lot? I have none, and if you have you may want to have them on a new record or to have the claim well substanciated, My own health is very good, only I have a cough which gives me some trouble occasionally. I shall hope to hear from you soon, and with good success to all parties -- and believe me ever your loving sister, A. M. Ruan
The envelope is addressed to Mrs. A. W. Campbell, Care A. R. Campbell, Esq., Galveston, Texas, and pencilled in another hand on the face of the envelope, "Mrs. Amanda Ruan, Macon, Georgia." Minimal punctuation added by the transcriber to enhance readability.
- Amanda M. Kilbee died on 18 March 1899 at age 81 in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia.
- She was interred at Rose Hill Cemetery, Macon, Bibb County, Georgia, according to her obituary, but there is a marker bearing her name and birth and death years at Chestnut Cemetery in Apalachicola.
- The following appeared on 20 March 1899 in The Macon Daily Telegraph: [Died] On the evening of the 18th inst., Mrs. Amanda M. Ruan, aged 82 years. Funeral from Christ church this (Monday) afternoon at 4 o'clock. The friends of the family are invited.
- The following appeared on 20 March 1899 in The Macon Daily Telegraph: Mrs. Amanda Ruan, mother of Mr. J. G. Ruan, will be buried this afternoon at 4 o'clock. The funeral services will be conducted at Christ church at 4 o'clock.
Mrs. Ruan was 82 years of age and was a woman well known and highly respected by all who knew her. Her death was the result of old age. She leaves four children.
- The following appeared on 21 March 1899 in The Macon Daily Telegraph: The funeral of Mrs. Amanda C. Ruan occurred yesterday from Christ church, Rev. F. F. Reese officiating. The interment was at Rose Hill cemetery.
The following were the pall bearers: Messrs. George H. Plant, S. G. Bonn, R. A. Nisbet, C. E. Campbell, T. O. Chestney, T. D. Tinsley, J. M. Walker and R. Mumford. Many loving tributes were paid to the dead by the large number of friends.
- Last Edited: 27 Aug 2012
Family 1: Wylie Pope Clark b. circa 1807, d. 31 October 1842
Family 2: John Gibbs Ruan b. 5 January 1798, d. 28 October 1868
- Mary Eliza Ruan b. 5 April 1846, d. 14 August 1916
- John Gibbs Ruan+ b. December 1847, d. 2 February 1907
- William R. Ruan b. 5 June 1849, d. 8 September 1887
- Laura Caroline Ruan b. 14 April 1851, d. circa March 1875
- Annie Campbell Ruan b. 7 May 1853, d. 28 December 1916
- Martha Rodman Ruan b. circa 1855, d. 3 September 1945