William R. Ruan
b. 5 June 1849, d. 8 September 1887
- Father: John Gibbs Ruan b. 5 January 1798, d. 28 October 1868
- Mother: Amanda M. Kilbee b. 9 November 1817, d. 18 March 1899
- William R. Ruan was born on 5 June 1849 in Florida.
- John Gibbs Ruan and Amanda M. Kilbee appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Franklin County, Florida. Other members of the household included William R. Ruan, Rebecca L. Clark, Susan Mary Clark, Mary Eliza Ruan, John Gibbs Ruan and William Rodman Ruan.
- John Gibbs Ruan and Amanda M. Kilbee appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Apalachicola, Franklin County, Florida. Other members of the household included William R. Ruan, Mary Eliza Ruan, John Gibbs Ruan, Laura Caroline Ruan, Annie Campbell Ruan, Martha Rodman Ruan, Rebecca L. Clark, Susan Mary Clark and William Rodman Ruan. Physician Robert Williamson, age 55, was is living nearby.
- Amanda M. Kilbee appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Apalachicola, Franklin County, Florida. Other members of the household included William R. Ruan, Mary Eliza Ruan, Laura Caroline Ruan, Annie Campbell Ruan, Martha Rodman Ruan and Susan Mary Clark.
- On 18 April 1885, Amanda M. Kilbee wrote to Ann Williamson Clark:
My Dear Sister,
It has been a long time since I wrote you but I always love dearly to hear from you and all your children. Twice Susie has sent me your letters to read which I assure you gave me great pleasure to hear how all yr children and grand children were getting along, My own children are all well, Eliza & Annie C are at home with me. Susie you know is in Atlanta and Mattie is still living in Selma Ala. My two Sons are still in the cotton business and seem to be doing very well. John has five Children, all well but the youngest, which is quite a delicate child, we think from having whooping caught when very young. He is nearly two years old. All the Johnstons and Mrs. Butler are well, but Mrs. Butler health is very poor generally. Carrie Johnston, now Mrs. Duncan, has a Son. I have just written to Susie and enclosed a letter from my sister Mrs. Myrick who lives in Marianna, in which Col. McLennan asks for your address. He is a lawyer living in Marianna and says he thinks your Fathers Estate own about 1000 (one thousand) acres of land which has been lately sold to the R R company and that if proper steps were taken would be worth something to his Gen Clarks heirs, unless Bared by the Statute of limitation, Tell Archie it will be something he can look into. I am sorry I do not know his first name or his enitials -- but will send your address this afternoon and hope you will soon hear from him. Have you the titles to the one acre reserved around the grave lot? I have none, and if you have you may want to have them on a new record or to have the claim well substanciated, My own health is very good, only I have a cough which gives me some trouble occasionally. I shall hope to hear from you soon, and with good success to all parties -- and believe me ever your loving sister, A. M. Ruan
The envelope is addressed to Mrs. A. W. Campbell, Care A. R. Campbell, Esq., Galveston, Texas, and pencilled in another hand on the face of the envelope, "Mrs. Amanda Ruan, Macon, Georgia." Minimal punctuation added by the transcriber to enhance readability.
- William R. Ruan died on 8 September 1887 at age 38.
- He was interred at Chestnut Cemetery, Apalachicola, Franklin County, Florida.
- Last Edited: 27 Aug 2012