Shirley Irene Keithley
b. 21 October 1927, d. 3 June 2014
- Father: Frank Tinker Keithley b. 14 April 1900, d. 25 July 1960
- Mother: Myrtle Irene Tasker b. 1903, d. 1993
- Shirley Irene Keithley was born on 21 October 1927 in Hammond, Lake County, Indiana.
- Frank Tinker Keithley and Myrtle Irene Tasker appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Michigan City, LaPorte County, Indiana, at 810 Main Street. Other members of the household included Shirley Irene Keithley, Robert D. Keithley.
- Frank Tinker Keithley and Myrtle Irene Tasker appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Hammond, Lake County, Indiana, at 534 Highland. Other members of the household included Shirley Irene Keithley, Robert D. Keithley and Harriet Mabel Tinker. The family was living in Michigan City in 1935.
- She married John Richard Quakenbush, son of Warren Quakenbush and Mary J. Clark, on 4 April 1948 in Lafayette, Tippecanoe County, Indiana.
- Shirley Irene Keithley became a widow at the 16 April 2006 death of her husband John Richard Quakenbush.
- Shirley Irene Keithley died on 3 June 2014 at age 86 in Russiaville, Howard County, Indiana, at her residence.
- She was interred at Sunset Memory Garden, Kokomo, Howard County, Indiana.
- The following appeared on 5 June 2014 in the Kokomo Tribune: Shirley Irene (Keithley) Quakenbush, 86, Russiaville, passed away at 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, June 3, 2014, at her home. She was born Oct. 31, 1927, in Hammond to Frank and Myrtle (Tasker) Keithley. On April 4, 1948, Shirley married John Richard Quakenbush, and he passed away April 16, 2006.
Shirley was a 1945 graduate from Lafayette Jefferson and a 1947 graduate of St. Francis School of Art. She also studied watercolor under Paul Sweany in Indianapolis. She retired from USPS at the Kokomo office. Shirley attended Lynn Friends and Kokomo First Friends. She was a member of and won numerous art awards from the Indiana Watercolor Society, Hoosier Salon, Kokomo Salon, Kokomo Art Association, Lafayette, Wabash, Logansport, Greentown, Brown County and Indianapolis Museum of Art. Shirley loved to bowl and was on a league for 40 years.
Survivors include by her children, Linda (Philip) Drake, Carl (Wanita) Quakenbush, Carolyn (Ronald) Stinnett; seven grandchildren, George Drake, Gary Drake, Cheryl Smith, Ashley Quakenbush, Alex Quakenbush, Lisa Ross, Rebecca King; 12 great-grandchildren; one sister, Doris (Keithley) Talbert; three sisters-in-law, Emma Lee Keithley, Eleanor Martin, Helen Rubush; brother in-law, Jim Rubush, Rex Hendershot; numerous nieces and nephews.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to St. Joseph Hospice or the Art Works.
Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Stout & Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville, with Pastor Gary Jones officiating. Burial will follow in Sunset Memory Gardens. Friends may call upon the family from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.
Online condolences may be left at www.stoutandson.com. Stout & Son Funeral Home is assisting with the funeral arrangements.
- Last Edited: 31 Jul 2015