b. 26 March 1850
- Colbert was born on 26 March 1850 in Montgomery County, Texas, at Greenwood plantation near Danville, the first child born at Greenwood in Texas.
- Following emancipation, Colbert adopted the name Colbert James.
- Angus and Jinney appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Danville PO, Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included Colbert, Cora, Anaka, Jane and Anderson. Also in the household were Wallace James, age 12, who is as yet unidentified. Three children who appear with Jinney as son and daughters in 1880 (Cherry, Charles & Lizzie) appear to be the same children enumerated with Milton James in 1870. It appears that Angus in 1870 may have been called Anderson in 1880.
- He was working on the farm, according to the 1870 census.
- Angus and Jinney appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included Colbert, Anaka, Cora, Jane, Angus, Cherry, Charles, Lizzie James, Milton James, Martha James, Laubertie James, Georgia James, James James, Anna James, William James, Perry James, Mitchell James and Amon James. Also in the household are grandchildren, apparently from three different families, which are not known. possibly earlier, unknown, children of Angus. Some of the children, Charley in particular, appear to be those enumerated in 1870 with Milton James, who likely was a brother of Angus. Young Angus also is enumerated in the household of Peter Early, working on the farm.
- He was a farm hand, according to the 1880 census.
- Children of Jinney born between 1847 and 1864, were recorded by Green Wood.
- Last Edited: 18 Jul 2011