Thomas Godfrey Pegues
b. 19 September 1835, d. 4 March 1918
- Father: Thomas William Pegues b. 22 October 1808, d. 11 June 1878
- Mother: Sarah Jane Roberts b. 21 December 1816, d. 11 December 1857
- Thomas Godfrey Pegues was born on 19 September 1835 in South Carolina.
- Thomas William Pegues and Sarah Jane Roberts appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Kershaw District, South Carolina, and also four other printers, aged 20-28.. Other members of the household included Thomas Godfrey Pegues, Eliza Grady Pegues, Sarah Amelia Pegues, Richard Hicks Pegues, Claudius James Pegues, Nannie G. Pegues, Mary Jane Pegues and Sarah (?)
- He served as Captain of Company H, 16th Louisiana Infantry Regiment (Evergreen Invincibles), CSA.
- He married Rebecca P. Witherspoon, daughter of Boykin Witherspoon and Elizabeth Williams Edwards, on 16 May 1870.
- Boykin Witherspoon and Elizabeth Williams Edwards appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Keachie PO, DeSoto Parish, Louisiana, and at least eight other children, not yet recorded.. Other members of the household included Thomas Godfrey Pegues, Rebecca P. Witherspoon.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1870 census.
- Thomas Godfrey Pegues and Rebecca P. Witherspoon appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in DeSoto Parish, Louisiana, and teacher Clervis? Pegues, age 28/38, identified as a female, but possibly Thomas' brother Claudius, although some researchers have his death in 1870.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1880 census.
- Thomas Godfrey Pegues died on 4 March 1918 at age 82 in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana.
- His wife Rebecca P. Witherspoon became a widow at his death.
- He was interred at Old Salem Cemetery, Stonewall, DeSoto Parish, Louisiana.
- Last Edited: 7 Jan 2012