Julius Caesar Bonaparte Mitchell
b. circa 1819, d. 4 October 1869
- Father: William Mitchell b. circa 1787, d. 12 April 1856
- Mother: Martha Hill b. 25 October 1791, d. 4 March 1851
- Evelina Wood wrote to her daughter Lizzie Powell, undergoing treatment for cancer in Murfreesboro, Tennessee: ". . . Julius Mitchell said Cousin Charles had gotten back from Texas, & would return with cousin Malinda in May. I expect we will be able to leave by that time. . . ." (Original letter in B. M. Henwood collection, original transcription copyright R. E. Reichardt.)
- Julius Caesar Bonaparte Mitchell was born circa 1819 in Georgia.
- He married Jane M. Murdock, daughter of Andrew W. Murdock and Sarah Ann Burch, on 1 December 1840 in Montgomery County, Alabama.
- Julius Caesar Bonaparte Mitchell became a widower at the say 1846 death of his wife Jane M. Murdock.
- He married Rebecca Ellen Murdock, daughter of Andrew W. Murdock and Sarah Ann Burch, on 17 October 1846 in Montgomery County, Alabama, and Rebecca's brother Lafayette married JCB's sister Juliet.
- Sarah Ann Burch appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Montgomery County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Julius Caesar Bonaparte Mitchell, Sarah Murdock, Rebecca Ellen Murdock, Ellen Burch Mitchell and Murdock Mitchell.
- Lizzie Wood Powell wrote while being treated for cancer by Dr. R. W. January in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, to her mother Evelina Wood on 10 March 1855, ". . . Old Mr. Mitchell is more than a match for me, he complains all the time. he got some medicine from the Dr. & would go home. Julius tried to get him to stay, but he was affraid of dying from home. he says he'll return in two weeks, the Dr. could have cured him if he had remained, but a cure is doubtful now. . . . Julius Mitchell said Cousin Charles had gotten back from Texas, & would return with cousin Malinda in May. I expect we will be able to leave by that time. . . . "
- Julius Caesar Bonaparte Mitchell and Rebecca Ellen Murdock appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Montgomery County, Alabama, the Burch children of Julius' sister Jeanette and her husband James Burch, Rebecca's mother's brother.. Other members of the household included Ellen Burch Mitchell, Murdock Mitchell, Lily Grace Mitchell, Florence E. Burch, Jane M. Burch and Red Augustus Burch.
- He was a planter, according to the 1860 census.
- Julius Caesar Bonaparte Mitchell died on 4 October 1869 in Mt. Meigs, Montgomery County, Alabama.
- His wife Rebecca Ellen Murdock became a widow at his death.
- Last Edited: 20 Nov 2012
Family 1: Jane M. Murdock b. say 1822, d. say 1846
Family 2: Rebecca Ellen Murdock b. circa 1826
- Ellen Burch Mitchell b. circa 1847
- Murdock Mitchell b. circa 1849, d. 23 April 1867
- Julius Mitchell b. 9 May 1851, d. 26 April 1852
- Lily Grace Mitchell b. 4 March 1855