Harriet Elizabeth Adams
b. 6 May 1845, d. April 1911
- Father: Felix Grundy Adams b. 18 December 1812, d. 2 September 1889
- Mother: Huldah Ann Shields b. 26 February 1820, d. 9 January 1867
- Harriet Elizabeth Adams was born on 6 May 1845 in Alabama.
- She was known as Hallie.
- Felix Grundy Adams and Huldah Ann Shields appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Athens, Dallas County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Harriet Elizabeth Adams, John Howell Adams and Felix Paulding Adams. It is an educated guess that 14-year-old "F. B." Adams is Felix Paulding Adams, and that he was a nephew of Felix Grundy Adams.
- The following deed was dated 20 August 1866, Marengo County:
I, Felix G. Adams of Marengo Co., Ala., desirous of making some provision for my daughter, Harriett, wife of John P. Walke, who is in debt, give her $3000.00, free of control of her husband, and empower him to use same in a mercantile business in Uniontown or elsewhere.
Witnessed by L. A. Simms and J. H. Adams.
- Felix Grundy Adams and Huldah Ann Shields appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in McKinley, Marengo County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Harriet Elizabeth Adams, John Howell Adams, George F. Adams, Laura Shields Adams, Walter Benjamin Adams and Thomas Felix Adams.
- She married John Paul Walke in 1865.
- John Paul Walke and Harriet Elizabeth Adams appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Sharkey County, Mississippi. Other members of the household included Thomas Felix Adams. Also in the household, identified as a boarder, was Roxy Duncan, age 6.
- Harriet Elizabeth Adams became a widow at the October 1881 death of her husband John Paul Walke.
- The estate of J. P. Walke, having died intestate, was probated in Sharkey County, Mississippi, with $500 surety bond given on 2 December 1881 by T. T. Orendorf, principal, John Harsh and T. J. Orendorf. Letters of Administration were granted to T. T. Orendorf on the same day.
- Lizzie Cook appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Devine, Medina County, Texas, at Hondo Street. Other members of the household included Harriet Elizabeth Walke, Tom Temple Adams, Dawn Cook and Grace Cook.
- Harriet Elizabeth Adams died in April 1911 at age 65.
- Last Edited: 11 Jan 2016