b. circa 14 February 1832, d. 22 March 1882
- John Harmson was born circa 14 February 1832 in Germany possibly in Leipzig or Hannover.
- His name was recorded as Otto according to at least one family researcher.
- He married Philippina Dexheimer, daughter of Peter Dexheimer and Anna Magdalena Spies, circa 1866.
- He was naturalized on 31 October 1868 at Sacramento County, California. .
- The following appeared on 1 January 1870 in the Sacramento Daily Union: The following is as complete a list of the Marriages, Births and Deaths that have occurred in Sacramento during year 1869 as we have been able to compile from all sources: Births . . . August 2 -- Wife of John Harmson, of a daughter.
- John Harmson and Philippina Dexheimer, appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Sacramento, Sacramento County, California. Other members of the household included Albert Harmson and Lillie M. Harmson.
- He was a teamster, according to the 1870 census.
- John Harmson and Philippina Dexheimer appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Sacramento, Sacramento County, California, at 1117 Fifteenth Street and one boarder.. Other members of the household included Lillie M. Harmson, John William Harmson and Otto Charles Harmson.
- He was a teamster, according to the 1880 census.
- Philippina Dexheimer became a widow at his death.
- John Harmson died on 22 March 1882 in Sacramento, California.
- He was interred at Sacramento City Cemetery, Sacramento, Sacramento County, California.
- The following appeared on 25 March 1882 in the Sacramento Daily Record-Union: [Died] (Sacramento, March 22) John Harmson, a native of Germany, 50 years, 1 month and 8 days. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, which will take place from the Odd Fellows Temple tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon at 2 o'clock.
- Last Edited: 5 Jan 2014