Carl Adam Kammerer
b. 2 July 1895, d. 12 August 1986
- Father: Adam Kammerer b. 21 September 1849, d. 27 April 1911
- Mother: Ursula Weiler b. 4 July 1855, d. 24 June 1924
- Carl Adam Kammerer was born on 2 July 1895 in New York.
- Adam Kammerer and Ursula Weiler appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Niagara, Niagara County, New York, at 1366 Ontario Avenue. Other members of the household included Carl Adam Kammerer, Ada Anna Kammerer, John Balthasar Kammerer, Lucille Christine Kammerer, Helen Georgine Kammerer and Marie Katherine Kammerer.
- Adam and Lucy Kammerer and their family were photographed during 1902 in their front yard at 1366 Ontario Avenue.
- Adam and Lucy Kammerer and their family posed for a photographic portrait during May 1903, of which two versions survive.
- Adam Kammerer and Ursula Weiler appeared in the New York state census of 1 June 1905 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1266 Ontario Avenue. Other members of the household included Carl Adam Kammerer, Ada Anna Kammerer, John Balthasar Kammerer, Lucille Christine Kammerer, Helen Georgine Kammerer and Marie Katherine Kammerer.
- The following appeared on 1 June 1909 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: A large number of people gathered in the Oakwood cemetery Sunday afternoon when the Memorial exercises under the auspices of Dudley-Donnolly Women's Relief Corps, were held.
James Haines sounded taps for the departed soldiers before the exercises began. The following programme was given: Song "Nearer My God to Thee," Carl Kammerer sang, . . .
- Adam Kammerer and Ursula Weiler appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1366 Ontario Avenue. Other members of the household included Carl Adam Kammerer, Lucille Christine Kammerer, Helen Georgine Kammerer and Marie Katherine Kammerer.
- The following appeared on 29 July 1912 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Chimes Heard for First Time Yesterday. The chimes over Zion Lutheran church at Michigan avenue and Tenth street, were heard during the services yesterday. The bells have not been formally accepted but they will be consecrated next Sunday. The chimes, donated by Albert Sigel of this city, are ten in number, each bell bearing the letter that spelled out "Sigel Chime." When in operation they will be manipulated by Carl Kammerer of Ontario avenue, whose family have long been members of the Zion church. The bells were made at Baltimore.
- The following appeared on 19 September 1913 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Mrs. Adam Kammerer and son Carl of Ontario avenue are the guests of Mr. and Mrs. John B. Kammerer of Albany, N. Y.
- The following appeared on 20 September 1913 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Chimer -- The Niagara Falls Gazette: Zion Lutheran Church, Michigan Avenue and Tenth Street. . . . The following program of Christmas music will be rendered on the Siegel Chimes Christmas Eve and Christmas Day: . . . Mr. Karl Kammerer. Organist -- Mrs. J. Guinther. Chori -- Soprano, Miss Helen Kammerer, Mrs. W. Smale, Mrs. F. Jenss, Mrs. C. Woolcock, Miss Florence Braun; alto, Miss Ida Wagner, Mrs. W. Shea, Miss Marie Kammerer, Miss Emily Wahl; bass, E. Nussbaum, G. Haeberle, F. Jenss; tenor, M. P. Jenss, S. Wagner, J. Wahl. Director -- Mr. F. A. Jenss.
- The following appeared on 24 December 1915 in Falls Churches Have All Arranged The Niagara Falls Gazette: Programmes for Observance of Christmas. Zion Lutheran Church, Michigan avenue and Tenth street, Herman Brezing, pastor. . . . The quartette of the congregation will sing at the German service on Christmas Day. . . Helen Kammerer, soprano; Ida Wagner, alto; August Anders, tenor; Carl Kammerer, bass. . . . The following organ program has been prepared by Miss Dorothy Haeberle, organist: . . .
- The following appeared on 30 June 1916 in The Buffalo Morning Express: The marriage of Miss Gertrude Barnett, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Barnett, and Joseph F. Lepine was solemnized at 7 o'clock last evening in the Presbyterian church of the Covenant, the Rev. John D. Campbell officiating. The church was decorated with palms, evergreens, pink peonies and marguerites. Ropes of Smilax were caught from the chandeliers. The pews for the house guests were marked with pink peonies and marguerites. Carl Kammerer of Niagara Falls, cousin of the bride, played a programme of organ music as the guests were assembling, ending in the Lohengrin bridal chorus as the bridal party entered, led by the ushers, Myron B. Bloy of Detroit, Mich., and William Lewis. The ushers were followed by the maid of honor, Miss Myrtle Hutchinson, and the two bridesmaids, Miss Helen Kammerer of Niagara Falls and Miss Ruth Barnett, sister of the bride. The bride entered with her father and was met at the altar by the bridegroom and his best man, George J. Barnett. She wore a gown of pussywillow taffeta with lace and pearl trimmings. Her veil was fastened with orange blossoms and she carried a shower bouquet of bride roses and lilies of the valley. The maid of honor, wore green-flowered voile trimmed with green satin bands and carried an arm bouquet of Ophelia roses. Miss Kammerer wore pink-flowered voile trimmed with pink satin bands and carried an arm bouquet of pink Killarney roses. A reception to 100 guests at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Barnett in Waverly street followed the ceremony. Palms, pink and white peonies and roses adorned the rooms. The bride's table was laid for fourteen and was centered with pink roses. The other guests were seated at small tables which were centered with pink candelabra. The guests included Mr. and Mrs. John Guenther of Welland, Ont., Mr. and Mrs. Frank L. Barnett, Miss Nettie Platt of Alden, J. A. Kammerer of Toronto, Ont., Mrs. and Mrs. M. H. Mayle, Miss Helen Mayle, Mr. and Mrs. Louis K. Eimer, Paul Eimer, Mr. and Mrs. Francis Ford, Mrs. Adam Kammerer, Miss Marie Kammerer, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ford, Miss Louise Ford, Charles Ford, Jr., Miss Norma Hoffman, Miss Alice Young, Mr. and Mrs. George Benning, Miss Elsa Vorwerck of Niagara Falls, Mr. and Mrs. George F. Loehr of Lancaster, Miss Gladys Williams of Toronto., Ont., Mr. and Mrs. M. Bloy of Detroit, Mich., Miss Winifred Hewetson and Miss Vera Hewetson of Brampton, Ont., Miss Alma Hart of Scranton, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Lepine will spend their honeymoon in the Catskill mountains and will be at home after August 1st in Buffalo.
- Carl Adam Kammerer registered for the draft on 5 June 1917 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, while living at 1638 Ontario Avenue in Niagara Falls, and employed there as an office clerk with the Shredded Wheat Company.
- The following appeared on [unknown date] 1918 in The Buffalo Morning Express: The musical hour at Zion Lutheran church, Niagara Falls at 4 o'clock this afternoon will be given by John F. Grant and Helen S. Nussbaum organists; Marie Helena Rose, Mezzo-contralto; Olga Frings Serarina, cellist and the choir of the church under the direction of Carl Kammerer.
- He served during World War I.
- Carl Kammerer in uniform was photographed with the Kammerer and Vorwerk families.
- The following appeared on 15 July 1918 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Sergeant Carl Kammerer, former organist at Zion Lutheran church, returns from Camp Dix, N. J., to spend a furlough with his mother, Mrs. Lucy Kammerer, 1638 Ontario avenue. (From "A Peep Into the Past -- Twenty-five years ago today . . ." published 15 July 1943.)
- He was a sponsor at the baptism/christening of Kenneth Francis Ford on 7 September 1919 at Zion Lutheran Church in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York.
- Ursula Weiler appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1638 Ontario Avenue. Other members of the household included Carl Adam Kammerer, Helen Georgine Kammerer and Marie Katherine Kammerer.
- He was a bookkeeper with a machinery company, according to the 1920 census.
- The following appeared on 15 January 1921 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Buffalo Minister Tells of Philippine Islands and People. . . . the Men's club of St. Paul's M. E. church who were out one hundred strong at their monthly banquet. Dr. Bruce S. Wright of the Asbury-Delaware M. E. church of Buffalo, was the speaker of the evening. . . . Carl Kammerer did his part at the piano and Mrs. George Shipston sang a solo, or rather, as many as she would as the encores were endless and enthusiastic. . . .
- The following appeared on 25 April 1922 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: A pretty wedding was solemnized at Zion Lutheran church on Wednesday evening, at 6:30 o'clock, when Miss Louise E. Ford, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ford of Willow avenue became the bride of Mr. Sylvester Hannigan. Rev. Herman Brezing performed the ceremony. Mr. Carl Kammerer gave a short organ recital, after which Mr. D. MacDuff sang "O, Promise Me." The bride, who was given in marriage by her father, was gowned in navy blue canton crepe, beaded and embroidered, with hat to match. She carried a shower bouquet of bride roses. The bridesmaid, Miss Margaret Boehner, cousin of the bride, was gowned in pumpkin georgette, embroidered in black over black satin, with picture hat to match, and carried a bouquet of Ophelia roses. Mr. Frederick Hannigan, brother of the groom, was best man. Mr. Leonard Hayden and Mr. Francis Ford acted as ushers.
The church was decorated with palms and basket bouquets. A reception and wedding supper for 40 gueses followed at the bride's home. The house was decorated with cut flowers, the color scheme being pink and white. The bride's table, at which covers were laid for 14, was centered with a large wedding cake. The out-of-town guests were Mrs. George Ford of Ransomville, Mr. and Mrs. Duff and daughter of Wyoming, N. Y., and Mr. and Mrs. George Barnett, Mrs. F. Borth, Mrs. Hattie Irish and Miss Margaret Boehner of Buffalo. After a short wedding trip Mr. and Mrs. Hannigan will be at home at 2221 Whitney avenue, in this city.
- The following appeared on 23 December 1922 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: How Christmas Will Be Observed in the Churches. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, Michigan avenue and Tenth street. Herman Brezing, pastor; Karl Kammerer, organist; Felix Hartwig, chorister, Walter Baum, chimer. . . .
- He attended the Guilmant Organ School in Manhattan around 1923.
- A reunion of the Kammerer family was held in 1923 Kammerer family at the home of Helen Kammerer Hoffman, on the occasion of sister Phoebe Kammerer's Frank's visit from her home in Devil's Lake, North Dakota.
- The following appeared on December 1923 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Through the Courtesy of Messersmith's of this city, WGR at Hotel Statler [Buffalo] will broadcast an all-local program at 9 o'clock tonight, under the direction of Edgar Messersmith. Zion Evangelical church choir will be featured and arrangements have been made for the reception of this concert at the Zion Evangelical church this evening, which will be attended by radio fans generally.
[:TAB: From accompanying advertisement: (1) Contatta--46th Psalm, by Choir of Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of Niagara Falls, directed by Felix W. Hartwig, accompanied by Carl Kammerer; (2) Soprano Solo by Mrs. Charles Woolcock; (3) Alto Solo by Miss Ida Wagner; (4) Tenor Solo by Sylvester Hannigan; (5) Baritone Solo by Felix W. Hartwig. . .
- He officially witnessed the death of Ursula Weiler on 24 June 1924 at 1638 Ontario Avenue in Niagara Falls, New York; at her residence.
- He was a sponsor at the baptism/christening of Elizabeth Marie Jacoby on 28 September 1924 at Zion Lutheran Church in Niagara Falls, New York.
- The following appeared on 24 December 1924 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Karl Kammerer of New York city has arrived to spend Christmas with his sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Vorwerk of Ontario avenue.
- The following appeared on 6 January 1925 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Carl Kammerer returned to New York Sunday night after spending the holidays with his sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Vorwerk of Ontario avenue.
- The following appeared on 6 January 1925 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Carl Kammerer returned to New York Sunday night after spending the holidays with his sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Vorwerk of Ontario avenue.
- The following appeared on 16 May 1925 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Carl Kammerer Pleases Aerial Audience with Group of Numbers. Friends of Carl A. Kammerer, of this city, were pleased last Saturday when they tuned in on a New York station to hear the announced speak the name of Mr. Kammerer as one of the broadcasting artists. Mr. Kammerer broadcasted a program of songs which were highly entertaining to his old friends in this city and the radio audience at large. He has been studying music for some time in New York taking organ instruction under Dr. William Carl at the Guilmont organ school, and voice culture under Mr. William Thorner.
In last Saturday's broadcasting Mr. Kammerer was accompanied on the organ by Sydney Johnson, an English organist of considerable ability, who was heard recently in a recital on the Wanamaker organ in Philadelphia. Mr. Johnson, who is a nephew of Mrs. Hannah Shipston, of this city, is making a tour of America and will visit Niagara Falls late in the summer. He has been spending some time in New York with Mr. Kammerer.
- The following appeared on 5 October 1925 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Carl Kammerer Abroad. Well Known Falls Youth to Study Music in Italy. Carl A. Kammerer, formerly of this city, and for some time organist at Zion Lutheran church, who has been following thye music profession in New York for the past year, sails tomorrow on the S. S. President Wilson for a year's study in Italy. He will temporarily reside at Milan.
Mr. Kammerer, native of this city, has engaged in commercial pursuits in the upper milling district and was a devoted student of music. When the U. S. entered the world war he was commissioned a lieutenant in the service and at the close of the war was mustered out with an honorable record. The family lived for years at the north end of the city, and were pioneers in this section. His career will be eagerly watched by his host of friends in this city.
- European travel and study during 1925-1926 included Venice, Lisbon and Milano. He traveled aboard the SS Presidente Wilson.
- Carl Kammerer arrived on 12 October 1930 in the Port of New York aboard the SS Lafayette, having departed Le Havre on the 4th.
- The following appeared on 2 October 1931 in The Hastings News: "Through a Woman's Eyes," by Mrs. William H. Taylor) . . . But seriously on my wanderings I am in my element, for I am finding treasures, not of gold and jewels, but the treasures of mentality and personality. And long in my memory will linger the half hour chat with Carl Kammerer and his equally charming sister, Mrs. George Shipston.
He comes as a valuable asset to our community. He will live among us, for he has opened a studio for voice, piano, organ and languages in his sister's home, 38 Branford Road, Ravensdale.
He is a man quite young and who still wears the continental air from his years abroad. Carl A. Kammerer was born at Niagara Falls. He received his early training in that city and Buffalo, N. Y., where he studied under Prof. Keuchen and William [J.] Gomph, the latter being one of the greatest teachers in the country. Mr. Kammerer was well known in musical circles as an organist and teacher in those cities. Coming to New York he continued his studies, the organ, with Dr. William C[rane]. Carl, singing with Mr. [William] Thorner, theory with Dr. Clement Gale. Mr. Kammerer was the organist at Christ Church in Brooklyn and taught at his studio on West 68th Street.
In 1925 he went abroad for further study in Italy, France and Germany, specializing in voice, piano and language. He took piano under Prof. [Giuseppe] Anfossi, singing with Cataldi, [Alberto] Caffo, Reguso of Milan and the late celebrated artist Teresa Arkel of Vienna, Austria. Mr. Kammerer speaks French, Italian and German fluently. To perfect his accent and to absorb a true atmosphere of those countries he lived amongst the native peoples in their very homes.
Mr. Kammerer returned last fall from Europe and has been traveling for the past few months. He has done and is familiar with public concerts, recitals and stage work.
- The following appeared on 4 March 1932 in The Hastings News: Friends of Mr. and Mrs. George Shipston and son, Carl, are sorry to learn that they are planning to move to Somerville, N. J. Mr. Shipston leaves about May 1. Mrs. Shipston and Carl will stay until school closes. Karl A. Kammerer, Mrs. Shipston's brother, who has made his home with the Shipstons since his return from study abroad, will not leave this vicinity. His vocal and piano pupils will rejoice to learn that he is to continue his work as organist at St. John's Lutheran Church in Yonkers and so music lovers will not be deprived of Mr. Kammerer's talent. He and Mrs. Shipston have made a real place for themselves in local musical circles while the boys at Grace Church are mourning that their teacher, Mr. Shipston, is leaving. Grace Church has had the pleasure of both Mr. Shipston's and Mr. Kammerer's musical talents in the choir.
- The following appeared on 18 March 1932 in The Hastings News: Henry Yerger, poet and lyric writer of New York City, spent three days last week with Carl Kammerer at the home of Mr. Kammerer's sister, Mrs. George Shipston and Mr. Shipston on Branford road. Mr. Kammerer, who is an organist, pianist, linguist, and singer of execptional ability and Mr. Yerger are collaborating on some original musical compositions. Mr. Kammerer spent five years studying music in Italy and France, with world famous instructors. Among his instructors was [Giuseppe] Anfossi, the Italian master.
- Carl Adam Kammerer appeared with baritone Burr Barnett as pianist in a joint recital. on 15 May 1933 at Studio 713, Carnegie Hall, New York City, New York.
- The following appeared on 8 May 1937 in The Herald Statesman: (Yonkers) Celebration of Mother's Day at St. John's Lutheran Church tomorrow will include the singing of a composition, "A Mother's Love," the words of which were written by the Rev. Henry von Schlichten, son of the pastor.
Music for the song was written by Carl A. Kammerer, organist of the church, and it will be sung by Mrs. Richard Helmers. . . .
- Helen and George Shipston, and her bother Carl Kammerer, were photographed enjoying a holiday in Newport, Rhode Island, 30 July 1938.
- The following appeared on 26 January 1939 in The Herald Statesman: (Yonkers) Three soloists from St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church sang in a recital at the home of their teacher, Carl Kammerer, Somerville, N. J., Monday night. They were Miss Irma von Schlichten, soprano; Miss Bertha Hehn, mezzo-soprano, and George Ross, baritone.
- George Shipston and Helen Georgine Kammerer appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Somerville, Somerset County, New Jersey, at 142 West End Avenue. Other members of the household included Carl Adam Kammerer, George Carl Shipston.
- He was a music teacher, according to the 1940 census.
- Copyright was registered on 13 June 1941 by Carl A. Kammerer, Somerville, New Jersey, for the song "America--All Hail," and on 23 July for the song "With You in My Memory."
- Carl Adam Kammerer registered for the draft in 1942 in 229 East Main Street, Somerville, Somerset County, New Jersey, while residing there with his sister, Mrs. George Shipston, and also at 165 West 72nd Street in New York City.
- He applied for a Social Security account number on 2 July 1943 while living at 165 West 72nd Street, New York, New York, and employed at The Alviene Academy School of Theatre, 1780 Broadway.
- The following appeared on 18 September 1943 in The Herald Statesman: (Yonkers) A new organ will be dedicated in St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Chuirch, Hudson Street, at a special service tomorrow at 4 P. M.
Originally installed in a palatial Fifth Avenue residence in New York, it was purchased by the church when the owners gave up their home. Built by the Welte Organ Company of Freiburg, Baden, Germany, which at one time had a branch factory in Poughkeepsie, it has a harp and chimes attachment.
Carl Kammerer, church organist, who with the pastor, the Rev. Alexander F. von Schlichten, inspected the instrument before purchase, will play four compositions on it tomorrow including selections by Guilmant, Boeliman, Batiste and Rogers.
Miss Irma von Schlichten, daughter of the pastor, will sing "Alleluia" by Mozart and the choir will offer anthems by Handel, Chenoweth and Bortniansky. Mr. von Schlichten will deliver a brief address.
- The following appeared on 20 September 1943 in The Herald Statesman: (Yonkers) As a surprise feature of a ceremony dedicating a new organ at St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church on Hudson Street yesterday afternoon, an amplification system which will carry the sound of the organ chimes outside the church was presented to the congregation in honor of the Rev. A. F. von Schlichten, pastor, and Mrs. von Schlichten by their children, five sons and three daughters.
One of Mr. von Schlichten's sons, the Rev. Henry J. von Schlichten, is associate pastor of the church.
A silver plaque, commemorating the gift, which is to be attached to the organ, was presented to Duncan Brooks, president of the church, for the congregation by the Rev. William O. Hill, pastor of Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church at Willow and Cottage Places. Mr. Hill's church had its origin as a mission under Mr. von Schlichten.
The organ, which was originally installed in a Fifth Avenue residence in New York, was purchased when its owners gave up their home. It was rebuilt to specifications of the Yonkers church by Paul Sowada of 269 Palmer Avenue, who was head of the now discontinued Poughkeepsie branch of the Welte Organ Company of Freiburg, Germany, which built the instrument. Mr. Sowada now is president of the Atlas Organ Company.
In a sermon, Mr. von Schlichten traced the history of the development of the organ and showed how it was a combination of various instruments mentioned in the Bible.
Carl Kammerer, church organist, played several selections. Miss Irma von Schlichten, the pastor's daughter, sang Motzart's "Alleluia," and the choir offered three anthems.
- The following appeared on 20 April 1982 in The New York Daily News: A commemorative service of praise and tribute to the golden anniversary of Carl a. Kammerer, who has served St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Yonkers as organist and choirmaster for 50 years, will be held on Sunday.
During his first 44 years of playing, he never missed a service.
The special service will begin at 9:45 a.m. in the church, 44 Hudson St., with Rev. Thomas Nelson Green, former pastor of St. John's and now with Concordia College, Bronxville, serving as guest preacher.
A reception and buffet luncheon will be held in th educational building, adjacent to the church, immediately following the service, Pastor F. William Wild said. There also will be entertainment and nostalgic reminiscences. Kammerer was once a member of the Yonkers Male Glee Club and its members will end the program by entertaining.
Kammerer, an upper West Side Manhattan resident, could be compared to Iron Man Lou Gehrig. While the Yankee first baseman played in 2,130 consecutive games for more than 14 years, Kammerer had played in more than 5,000 consecutive church functions over 44 years without missing a turn, before he was "benched" by an operation in 1976. The only other times he had to be replaced at the St. John's organ was when he was on vacation.
Kammerer commutes by subway and bus from his home in Manhattan, a trip which takes about an hour. But somehow, despite winter weather conditions, he is always at St. John's in time to play the service prelude and during it and whenever else his talents are required.
He was born in Niagara Falls and studied in Manhattan at the Guilmant Organ School under Dr. William C. Carl. He went abroad and continued his studies in Milan and Paris.
Vivian Towers, a member of the church committee who organized the tribute, said, "It is our prayer that today will be a spiritually song-filled blessing for Mr. Kammerer, as well as a reunion of old ties for all who attend.
- Carl Adam Kammerer died on 12 August 1986 at age 91 in Pittstown, Union Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, at Stone Arch Health Care Center.
- He was interred at Oakwood Cemetery, Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York.
- The following appeared on August 1986 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Niagara Falls native Carl A. Kammerer, of Union Township, N.J., died Tuesday (Aug. 12, 1986), at the Stone Arch Health Care Center in Union Township. Kammerer, 91, had lived in New York City since 1932. He moved to the health care center 15 months ago. He was an organist and music teacher, retiring in 1982 after teaching music in Somerville N.J. and New York City for 40 years. He was a church organist at St. John Evangical Lutheran Church in Yonkers, N.Y. for 50 years. He was a U.S. Army veteran of World War I. He is survived by several nieces and nephews. Gravesice services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Oakwood Cemetery, Niagara Falls. Contributions to the Far Hills -Bedminster First Aid Squad, Far Hills, N.J. 07931 are acceptable as tribute. Arrangements were made by the Layton Funeral Home, Bedminster, N.J.
- Last Edited: 26 Jan 2017