Anna Magdalena Dexheimer
b. 21 February 1838, d. 1 November 1924
- Father: Peter Dexheimer b. 10 October 1795, d. 2 November 1872
- Mother: Anna Magdalena Spies b. say 1795
- Anna Magdalena Dexheimer was born on 21 February 1838 in Biebelnheim, Rheinhessen.
- She was known as Lena in the United States.
- According to family lore, she arrived in the United States in 1861, and went to California in 1867.
- She married John Charles Harms on 14 November 1869 in Sacramento County, California, in the German Lutheran Church.
- John Charles Harms and Anna Magdalena Dexheimer appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in American, Sacramento County, California, and two farm laborers.. Other members of the household included Lena Harms, Henry Ditman Harms, Elizabeth Harms, Anna Harms, Caroline Harms and Sophia Harms.
- Anna Magdalena Dexheimer became a widow at the 14 November 1885 death of her husband John Charles Harms.
- The following appeared on 14 December 1890 in The Sunday Union: H. J. Goethe, through his attorney, Isaac Joseph, has filed in the County Clerk's office the will of the late William Schmidt. The deceased bequeaths to Mrs. Lena Harms, his sister-in-law, the sum of $500, to Charles Schmitt, editor of the Nord California Herold, $100; to Lillie Harmson; John Harmson and Otto Harmson, his step-children, the balance of his estate. The petition for the probate of the will states that the estate consists mainly of houses and lots in this city of the value of avour $16,500. The hearing of the petition has been set for Friday, December 26th.
- On 17 February 1917, Philipp Dexheimer wrote a letter of birthday greetings to his sister Lena Harms.
- In February 1917, Mary J. Nigg wrote the following postcard to her aunt Lena Dexheimer Harms: Dear Aunt - Glad to hear you that you are still living and wish you much happiness on your birthday. We are all well and hope you are the same. Aunt Eva in New York sent me your address and I thought you would like to hear from me. Should be very glad to hear from you as soon as possible. Here is my address from your niece Mary J. Nigg 1866 East Canfield Ave Detroit Mich.
- Anna Magdalena Dexheimer died on 1 November 1924 at age 86 in Elverta, Sacramento County, California.
- She was interred at Sacramento City Cemetery, Sacramento, Sacramento County, California.
- The following appeared on 3 November 1924 in The Sacramento Bee: [Died] In Elverta November 1, 1924, Lena Harms. Wife of the late Charles Harms, beloved mother of Mrs. Lizzie H. Stahl of South San Francisco, Mrs. Anna Wait of Elverta, Mrs. Sophia Dosch, Mrs. Philippina Poole, Henry D. Harms of Sacramento & the late Mrs. Lena Nicholas: a native of Germany, aged 98 years, 8 months and 10 days. Friends are respectfully invited to attend the funeral to-morrow (Tuesday) at 1:30 p.m., from the home of Harry A. Nauman & Son. 1811 G Street. Interment City Cemetery.
- Photographs of present-day Biebelnheim.
- Fellow family researcher Becca Pascoe has generously shared her information about the families of sisters Anna Magdalena "Lena" Dexheimer Harms and Anna Elisabetha "Elisa" Dexheimer Grieser.
- Last Edited: 2 Apr 2016
Family: John Charles Harms b. circa June 1830, d. 14 November 1885
- Lena Harms+ b. 23 February 1871, d. 26 September 1923
- Henry Ditman Harms b. 18 February 1872, d. 1 March 1945
- Elizabeth Harms b. 22 September 1873, d. 20 July 1946
- Anna Harms b. 18 December 1874, d. 14 April 1941
- Caroline Harms b. circa 1877, d. 18 August 1890
- Sophia Harms b. 24 December 1878, d. 7 March 1966
- Phillipina Harms b. 14 August 1882, d. 14 June 1930