Mary Katharine Wood
b. 2 December 1895, d. 5 November 1988
- Father: Bonnie Griffin Wood b. 6 January 1867, d. 11 October 1907
- Mother: Annie Elizabeth Monk b. 27 September 1874, d. 4 January 1956
- Mary Katharine Wood was born on 2 December 1895 in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana.
- Bonnie Griffin Wood and Annie Elizabeth Monk appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Stamps, Lafayette County, Arkansas. Other members of the household included Mary Katharine Wood, Bonnie Griffin Wood Jr., Catherine Farrington and Osceola Custer Wood.
- A photographic portrait was made of Bonnie Griffin Jr. and Mary Katharine Wood in 1900, when he was age six and she was four years old.
- Annie Elizabeth Monk appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Itasca, Hill County, Texas, at North Street. Other members of the household included Mary Katharine Wood, Bonnie Griffin Wood Jr. and Elma Elizabeth Wood.
- Annie Elizabeth Monk appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Waco, McLennan County, Texas, at 1427 South Tenth. Other members of the household included Mary Katharine Wood, Elma Elizabeth Wood and Seth Wood. Nephew Seth Wood also was enumerated in the household with his family in Itasca.
- She was employed as a public school teacher, according to the 1920 census.
- She married James Robert Orme, son of Phillip Brackenridge Orme and Sallie Ida Miller.
- James Robert Orme registered for the draft in 1942 in McLennan County, Texas, while living with his wife Katharine at 1909 Proctor in Waco.
- Mary Katharine Wood became a widow at the 3 December 1943 death of her husband James Robert Orme.
- The following appeared on 27 December 1953 in the Waco Tribune-Herald: A teacher in Waco public schools for 20 years, who has been living in the North and East since 1944, Mrs. J. R. Orme is back here to spend the holidays with her mother, Mrs. Annie Wood, and her sister, Miss Elma Wood at 1427 South Tenth Street. Her son-in-law and daughter, mr. and Mrs. J. D. Roberts Jr., and their two daughters from Austin are also here spending Christmas.
Mr. Roberts teaches Spanish at the University of Texas. His older daughter, Katherine Aline, 3, is named for her two grandmothers. The younger daughter, a year old, is named Annie Wood Roberts for her Waco great-grandmother.
Mrs. Orme is with the Air Procurement District office in Philadelphia, Pa., where contracts for Air Force equipment in a seven-state area are administered. She was formerly at the headquarters of the entire Air Force at Dayton, Ohio, remaining there six years, but was sent to Philadelphia in February 1951 to set up a technical data branch of the Quality Control Division.
She makes her home in Collingwood, N. J., not far distant, and has traveled considerably in the seven-state district, the southern-most state being North Carolina.
- She officially witnessed the death of Annie Elizabeth Monk on 4 January 1956 at Hillcrest Hospital in Waco, McLennan County, Texas.
- Mary Katharine Wood died on 5 November 1988 at age 92 in Waco, McLennan County, Texas.
- She was buried at Rosemound Cemetery in Waco, McLennan County, Texas.
- The following appeared on 9 November 1988 in the Waco Tribune-Herald: Mrs. Mary Katharine Orme, 92, of Waco died Saturday at a local nursing home.
Graveside services will be at 2:30 p.m. today at Rosemound Cemetery, Dr. John Wood officiating.
Mrs. Orme was born Dec. 2, 1895 in Clairborne Parrish, La. She moved to Waco as a child and attended Waco schools and Baylor University. She taught elementary school at North Waco School and later worked in civil service in Ohio and Pennsylvania. She retired in 1970 and moved to Waco. She was a member of First Baptist Church and Order of the Eastern Star Chapter 7.
Survivors include a daughter, Mrs. Peggy Orme Roberts of Colorado Springs, Colo; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
The family has designated Order of the Eastern Star Chapter 7 for memorials.
- Last Edited: 26 Sep 2014