James Lyles Goree
b. 29 November 1783, d. circa 1841
- Father: John Goree b. 21 May 1727, d. circa 1807
- Mother: Lucy Liles b. 20 October 1748, d. 15 February 1832
- James Lyles Goree was born on 29 November 1783 in Newberry District, South Carolina.
- He married Martha Rabb circa 1810.
- James Lyles Goree and Martha Rabb appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1830 in Perry County, Alabama. Other (counted but unnamed) members of the household apparently included Mary Ann Goree, John Rabb Goree, James Langston Goree, Robert Thomas Goree and Lucy Caroline Goree.
- Dr. Langston James Goree and his brother, Dr. James Lyles Goree, were members of the first Board of Trustees of Judson Female Institute in Marion, which commenced operation on 7 January 1839.
- James Lyles Goree and Martha Rabb appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1840 in Perry County, Alabama, enumerated as son "John R. Gorre," although John is enumerated separately with his family elsewhere in Perry County.. Other (counted but unnamed) members of the household apparently included James Langston Goree, Robert Thomas Goree and Lucy Caroline Goree. There are more males than can be accounted for amongst known children, perhaps an overseer and/or laborers.
- James Lyles Goree died circa 1841 in Perry County, Alabama.
- His wife Martha Rabb became a widow at his death.
- Last Edited: 21 Feb 2013
Family: Martha Rabb b. circa 1788
- John Rabb Goree+ b. 3 June 1811, d. 25 January 1852
- Mary Ann Goree b. circa 1817, d. 5 December 1877
- James Langston Goree+ b. 1819, d. 1866
- Robert Thomas Goree b. 12 October 1822, d. 28 January 1858
- Lucy Caroline Goree+ b. November 1827, d. 18 January 1907