Mary Ellen Harrison
b. 31 August 1860, d. 11 February 1934
- Father: John Gabriel Harrison b. 22 February 1829, d. 20 September 1899
- Mother: Elenor S. Ireland b. 2 July 1826, d. 12 December 1872
- Mary Ellen Harrison was born on 31 August 1860 in Tennessee.
- John Gabriel Harrison and Elenor S. Ireland appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Indian Prairie, Wayne County, Illinois, Also in the household was James Croggins, age 7, born in Tennessee.. Other members of the household included Mary Ellen Harrison, Elizabeth M. Harrison and Eliza Jane Harrison.
- She married Alonzo Laughlin, son of Henry Carrell Laughlin and Sarah Elizabeth Horton, on 5 September 1878 in Wayne County, Illinois.
- Mary Ellen Harrison became a widow at the 11 February 1911 death of her husband Alonzo Laughlin.
- She married Samuel D. Tennison.
- Mary Ellen Harrison became a widow at the 1932 death of her husband Samuel D. Tennison.
- Mary Ellen Harrison died on 11 February 1934 at age 73 in Wayne County, Illinois.
- The following appeared in the Wayne County Press: Mary E. daughter of John G. and Eleanor S. Harrison was born near Nashville, Tenn., Aug. 31, 1860. She came to Illinois in Apr. 1864 and has lived in the Willow branch neighborhood through the remainder of her life. She was a descendant of the Virginia colonist.
She was united in marriage to Alonzo Laughlin Sept. 5, 1878. Five children were born to this union, four of whom died in early childhood. Eugene A Laughlin of near Rinard survives her. She is also survived by a step-daughter Ethel Laughlin Marshall, six grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
Her husband proceded her in death thirty three years ago on the same day and month. She was again united in marriage to Samuel D. Tennison May 30, 1904. This companion also proceded her in death Sept. 8 1932. She is also survived by one sister, Mrs. Eliza Campbell and numerous other relative and freinds.
Early in life she was converted and united with the Bethany Baptist Church living an active and faithful Christian life. She always kept a home of hospitality, especially to ministers and church friends of her minister husband. She led an active progressive life and was beloved by the entire community.
Funeral services were conducted from the Willow Branch M.E. Church by Elder W. D. Crippen Wednesday afternoon. Interment was in the cemetery nearby.
- She was interred at Willow Branch Cemetery, Keith Township, Wayne County, Illinois.
- Last Edited: 6 Nov 2011
Family 1: Alonzo Laughlin b. 17 July 1859, d. 11 February 1901
- Eugene Achilles Laughlin+ b. 6 March 1881, d. 19 March 1974