Tom Ross Wood
b. 9 September 1910, d. 26 September 1969
- Father: Willis Eason Wood b. 11 August 1878, d. 12 March 1942
- Mother: Hannah Ross b. 26 June 1880, d. 12 June 1943
- Tom Ross Wood was born on 9 September 1910 in Rossville, Atascosa County, Texas.
- Willis Eason Wood and Hannah Ross appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Dallas, Texas, at 2501 Exline Street. Other members of the household included Tom Ross Wood, Hannah Marguerite Wood.
- Willis Eason Wood and Hannah Ross appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Dallas, Texas, at 2607 Exline Street. Other members of the household included Tom Ross Wood, Hannah Marguerite Wood.
- He was a bank clerk, according to the 1930 census.
- He married Mildred M. Darnaby, daughter of Joseph Lester Darnaby and Bethel Inez Lockett, circa July 1935.
- Tom Ross Wood and Mildred M. Darnaby appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, at 1109 South Edith. In 1935, Tom and Mildred were living in Dallas.
- He was employed as a grocery clerk by a chain store, according to the 1940 census.
- The following appeared on 13 March 1942 in The Dallas Morning News: Eason Wood, age 63, passed away at his home, 3712 Oakland, early Thursday. Survived by wife, Mrs. Hannah Ross Wood; two daughters, Mrs. Alice Taberer, Rossville, and Mrs. Margaret Cox, Dallas; a son, Tom Wood, Albuquerque, N.M; two brothers, Frank Erwin, Newark, N.J., and Austin Erwin, Snyder, Texas; a sister, Mrs. Kitty Myers [sic], Dallas, and an aunt, Mrs. Laura Erwin, Dallas. Funeral services Friday at 4 p.m. at Colonial Baptist Church, with the Rev. John G. Moore officiating. Burial Oakland Cemetery. Arrangements Rhoton Funeral Home, Carrollton. Phone 137.
- Tom Ross Wood became a widower at the 25 April 1943 death of his wife Mildred M. Darnaby.
- The following appeared on 29 April 1943 in The Dallas Morning News: Funeral services for Mrs. Tom R. Wood, 26, native of Dallas, who died Sunday at her home in Albuquerque, N.M., will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the Ed C. Smith & Bro. Funeral Chapel. Mrs. Wood was a graduate of the Crozier Technical High School here in 1934 and was a member of the first Baptist Church. She was Mildred Darnaby. She is survived by her husband, a son, Lockett Eason Wood, and a daughter, Margaret Joan Wood; parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Darnaby, Houston; four sisters, Mrs. W. L. Reilly and Miss Jo Darnaby, Dallas; Mrs. Paul Dowell, Albuquerque, and Miss Carol Ann Darnaby, Houston.
- Tom Ross Wood died on 26 September 1969 at age 59.
- He was interred at Tatum Cemetery, Tatum, Lea County, New Mexico.
- The following appeared on 28 September 1969 in The Lovington Daily Leader: Tom Ross Wood, 59, resident of Tatum for about 21 years, died Friday afternoon following a brief illness.
He is survived by his wife, Mary Angie, of the home, one daughter, Joann Antonucci, North Highlands, California, and one son, Lockett E. Wood, Boulder, Colorado, two sisters, Mrs. R. C. Cox, Tatum, and Mrs. Herbert Tabberer, Rossville, Texas and three grandchildren.
Services have been scheduled for Monday morning at 11:00 a.m. in Smith-Rogers Chapel with Robert A. Buck, Vicar of St. Mary's Episcopal Church, officiating. Burial will follow in Tatum Cemetery.
Casketbearers will be Frank Smith, Dale Gandy, Sandy Bonnell, Rue Mock, Jimmy Rogers, and Ernie Garner.
The body will lie in state at Smith-Rogers Funeral Home until 10:00 a.m. Monday morning, at which time the casket will be closed and will remain closed.
- Last Edited: 27 Jul 2014
- Charts: Descendants of ABERCROMBIE Charles & Edwina Malinda "Dicey" Booth, Descendants of WOOD William & Lydia Ballentine