Annie Elizabeth Monk
b. 27 September 1874, d. 4 January 1956
- Father: James R. Monk
- Mother: Mary Robertson
- Annie Elizabeth Monk was born on 27 September 1874 in Homer, Claiborne Parish, Louisiana.
- She married Bonnie Griffin Wood, son of Uriah Griffin Wood and Catherine Farrington, on 27 November 1892 in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana.
- Bonnie Griffin Wood and Annie Elizabeth Monk appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Stamps, Lafayette County, Arkansas. Other members of the household included Bonnie Griffin Wood Jr., Mary Katharine Wood, Catherine Farrington and Osceola Custer Wood.
- Annie Elizabeth Monk became a widow at the 11 October 1907 death of her husband Bonnie Griffin Wood.
- Annie Elizabeth Monk appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Itasca, Hill County, Texas, at North Street. Other members of the household included Bonnie Griffin Wood Jr., Mary Katharine Wood and Elma Elizabeth Wood.
- She was self-employed at home as a seamstress, according to the 1910 census.
- Annie Elizabeth Monk appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Waco, McLennan County, Texas, at 1427 South Tenth. Other members of the household included Elma Elizabeth Wood, Mary Katharine Wood and Seth Wood. Nephew Seth Wood also was enumerated in the household with his family in Itasca.
- She was self-employed at home as a dressmaker, according to the 1920 census.
- The following appeared on 27 December 1953 in the Waco Tribune-Herald: A teacher in Waco public schools for 20 years, who has been living in the North and East since 1944, Mrs. J. R. Orme is back here to spend the holidays with her mother, Mrs. Annie Wood, and her sister, Miss Elma Wood at 1427 South Tenth Street. Her son-in-law and daughter, mr. and Mrs. J. D. Roberts Jr., and their two daughters from Austin are also here spending Christmas.
Mr. Roberts teaches Spanish at the University of Texas. His older daughter, Katherine Aline, 3, is named for her two grandmothers. The younger daughter, a year old, is named Annie Wood Roberts for her Waco great-grandmother.
Mrs. Orme is with the Air Procurement District office in Philadelphia, Pa., where contracts for Air Force equipment in a seven-state area are administered. She was formerly at the headquarters of the entire Air Force at Dayton, Ohio, remaining there six years, but was sent to Philadelphia in February 1951 to set up a technical data branch of the Quality Control Division.
She makes her home in Collingwood, N. J., not far distant, and has traveled considerably in the seven-state district, the southern-most state being North Carolina.
- At the time of her death Annie Elizabeth Monk was living in Waco, McLennan County, Texas, at 1427 South 10th Street.
- Annie Elizabeth Monk died on 4 January 1956 at age 81 in Waco, McLennan County, Texas, at Hillcrest Hospital . Her death was officially witnessed by Mary Katharine Wood.
- She was interred at Rosemound Cemetery, Waco, McLennan County, Texas.
- The following appeared on 5 January 1956 in The Waco News-Tribune: Mrs. Annie E. Wood, 81, of 1427 South Tenth Street, 45-year Waco resident, died at 5:50 p. m. Wednesday in a local hospital.
Funeral arrangements are incomplete.
Survivors include one son, G. G. Wood Jr. of Baveley, Califl; two daughters, Mrs. J. R. Orme of Philadelphia, Pa., and Miss Elma Wood of Waco; six grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; three sisters, Mrs. Sudie Engels of Jackson, Miss., Mrs. Rissa Willis of Simsboro, La., and Mrs. Fannie Garrett of Homer, La.
Mrs. Wood was widow of Dr. B. G. Wood. She came to Waco in 1911 and worked for Goldstein-Migel's alteration department until retirement in December 1954. She was a member of the Seventh and James Baptist Church.
- The following appeared on 7 January 1956 in The Waco News-Tribune: Mrs. Annie E. Wood, 81, of 1427 South Tenth Street, died at 5:30 p. m. Wednesday in a local hospital.
Funeral services will be held at 10 a. m. Saturday at Wilkirson and Hatch Chapel with Rev. Charles Wellborn officiating, burial in Rosemound Cemetery.
Survivors include one son, B. G. Wood Jr., of Baveley, Calif., two daughters, Mrs. J. R. Orme of Philadelphia, Pa., and Miss Elma Wood of Waco, six grandchildren, 10 great-grandchildren, three sisters, Mrs. Sudie Engels of Jackson, Miss., Mrs. Riss Willis of Simsboro, La., and Mrs. Fannie Garrett of Homer, La.
Active pallbearers: Seth Wood, Hillsboro; Edward Spehgey?, Homer, La; T. P. Harper and F. C. Hunter, both of Dallas; and Robert Walker, J. C. Walthall.
Honorary pallbearers: J. D. Strauss, R. C. Fain, Harry Hoffmann, W. P. Orme of Blooming Grove, J. D. Roberts, Dr. J. C. McElhannon, Rev. Burt Manmry?, E. C. White, D. Eric Schwarlee, Dr. Gilbert Anderson.
Wilkirson and Haich Funeral Home, 1124 Washington Avenue, phone 3-3691.
- Last Edited: 3 Sep 2014
Family: Bonnie Griffin Wood b. 6 January 1867, d. 11 October 1907
- Bonnie Griffin Wood Jr.+ b. 28 January 1894, d. 6 November 1960
- Mary Katharine Wood+ b. 2 December 1895, d. 5 November 1988
- Sudie Wood b. 10 October 1900, d. 17 July 1905
- Elma Elizabeth Wood b. 27 June 1904, d. 5 February 1976