Uriah Griffin Wood
b. 14 April 1829, d. 12 August 1899
- Father: Mathew Wood b. 4 July 1805, d. 15 January 1876
- Mother: Mourning Atkinson b. 28 November 1807, d. 29 June 1877
- Uriah Griffin Wood was born on 14 April 1829 in Bibb County, Alabama.
- Mathew Wood and Mourning Atkinson appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Talladega District, Talladega County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Uriah Griffin Wood, Letitia Ann Wood, Abi Wood, Esther Wood, William R. Wood, James Frank Wood, Willis H. Wood, Sarah Elizabeth Wood and Floyd C. Wood.
- He married Catherine Farrington, daughter of Wiliam Farrington and Christian Stewart, on 18 December 1860 in Columbia County, Arkansas.
- Uriah Griffin Wood and Catherine Farrington appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Warren, Columbia County, Arkansas. Other members of the household included Frank Oliver Wood, Mathew Stewart Wood, Bonnie Griffin Wood and Mary Christian Wood.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1870 census.
- Uriah Griffin Wood and Catherine Farrington appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Mars Hill Township, Lafayette County, Arkansas. Other members of the household included Frank Oliver Wood, Mathew Stewart Wood, Bonnie Griffin Wood, Mary Christian Wood, Elma Wood and Osceola Custer Wood.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1880 census.
- Uriah Griffin Wood died on 12 August 1899 at age 70 in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana.
- His wife Catherine Farrington became a widow at his death.
- He was interred at Antioch Cemetery, Homer, Claiborne Parish, Louisiana.
- The following appeared in the Some Biographies of Old Settlers--Historical, Personal and Reminiscent (1900):
Matthew Wood and Family
Matthew Wood was born in Henry County, Georgia, July 5th, 1805. He moved to Bibb County, Alabama, with his father's family before the Indians had left that country.
He married Miss Mourning Adkinson, of Alabama; they had eleven children--M. R., J. W., U. G., L. A., Abi, Esther, W. R., J. F., W. H., S. E., and F. C.
M. R. married Rachel Goodgame; they had two children. J. W. married Jane Thompson; they had five children. U. G. married Kittie Farrington; they had seven children. L. A. married J. F. Baswell; they had one child. Abi married W. H. Chancellor. Ester married Isaac Longley; they had four children. W. R. married Missouri Brooks; they had three children. J. F. married Matilda Johnson they had six children, W. H. died at the age of 15. S. E. married H. F. Rice; they had nine children. Floyd never married.
Mathew Wood first settled in the Bascom neighborhood. He then settled three miles east of Tyler where he died.
He held the office of Justice of the Peace, and was mayor of Tyler at one time. He was an honest man--an honest official. He died since the Civil War leaving a good name behind him, a good heritage for his children.
The descendants of Mathew Wood are among our best people; intelligent and upright in their dealings with their fellow man.
- Last Edited: 29 Jul 2015
Family: Catherine Farrington b. 16 January 1839, d. 6 June 1900
- Frank Oliver Wood b. 4 August 1863, d. 12 January 1940
- Mathew Stewart Wood+ b. 17 April 1865, d. 16 September 1955
- Bonnie Griffin Wood+ b. 6 January 1867, d. 11 October 1907
- Mary Christian Wood+ b. 1 July 1869, d. 1 November 1902
- Morning Floydina Wood b. 7 January 1871, d. 2 October 1875
- Elma Wood+ b. 19 August 1874, d. 4 October 1909
- Osceola Custer Wood b. 15 July 1876, d. 19 November 1900