John Howard Wood
b. 23 March 1867, d. 21 January 1914
- Father: Eason Blue Wood b. 3 April 1831, d. 1 December 1907
- Mother: Sarah Ann Barrett b. 5 April 1842, d. 18 February 1895
- John Howard Wood was born on 23 March 1867 in Bibb County, Alabama.
- Eason Blue Wood and Sarah Ann Barrett appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Marble Valley Beat, Coosa County, Alabama, enumerated near the household of Eason's sister Missouri Barrett and his brother Elisha.. Other members of the household included John Howard Wood, William Alva Wood and Dixie Wood.
- Eason Blue Wood and Sarah Ann Barrett appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Hill County, Texas, enumerated next to Sallie's brother John Barrett. Other members of the household included John Howard Wood, William Alva Wood, Dixie Wood, Eugene B. Wood and Joshua Wood. Also in the household was nephew William Jackson (age 25).
- John Howard Wood appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Hubbard, Hill County, Texas, boarding in the household of cotton buyer George Doman.
- He married Mae Woodward, daughter of Austin Woodward and Nannie Underwood, circa 1901.
- The following appeared on 15 July 1907 in The Dallas Morning News: (Hilllsboro, Tex., July 14) The stock company which recently purchased the sanitarium in Hubbard City, and which is composed of local capitalists, has organized by electing officers and directors as follows: W. A. Wood, president; W. Q. Bowman, vice president; J. B. McDaniel, treasurer; J. M. Carroll, secretary, and Eugene McDaniel, Dr. J. H. Wood and J. V. Matson as directors. The name adopted is “Hot Well Sanitarium of Hubbard City,” and the company is capitalized at $35,000, all of which has been subscribed.
- John Howard Wood and Mae Woodward appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Hubbard, Hill County, Texas. Other members of the household included John Paul Wood and Dixie Lynn Wood.
- He was a practicing pysician, according to the 1910 census.
- Drs. William Alva and John Howard Wood operated “the Wood & Wood Sanitarium” in Hubbard.
- John Howard Wood died on 21 January 1914 at age 46.
- His wife Mae Woodward became a widow at his death.
- He was interred at Fairview Cemetery, Hubbard, Hill County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 20 Sep 2014