Angelina Elizabeth Dickinson
b. 14 December 1834, d. 13 July 1869
- Father: Almeron Dickinson b. circa 1800, d. 6 March 1836
- Mother: Susanna Wilkerson b. circa 1814, d. 7 October 1883
- Angelina Elizabeth Dickinson was born on 14 December 1834 in Gonzales, Mexican Tejas.
- Susanna Wilkerson and Peter Bellows appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Houston, Harris County, Texas. Other members of the household included Angelina Elizabeth Dickinson.
- She married John Maynard Griffith, son of Noah Griffith and Esther Wightman, on 8 July 1851 in Harris County, Texas.
- She married Oscar Holmes.
- Angelina Elizabeth Dickinson died on 13 July 1869 at age 34 in Galveston, Texas.
- She was interred at Evergreen Cemetery, Galveston, Texas.
- The following appeared on 14 July 1869 in Flake's Bulletin: [[ITAL:]a rather less-than-accurate account] Local Intelligence . . . But we intended to announce simply the death last evening of "Em. Britton," a name not unfamiliar to Texans, as being that of a woman connected forever with the early struggles of the Republic. At the Alamo, a Mrs. Robertson [sic] and her only child, a daughter, were saved. This daughter was Em. Britton, "Em" was made quite a heroine because of her romantic fate in early life, and we believe some grants of lands were made her. She grew up--was comely in face and person, and married a Mr. Britton. We do not know how it happened that they parted, nor is it now necessary to know, but she embraced the life of a courtezan and so died last evening. Her pilgrimage is done. Let us erect here over her grave the words of a recently departed sister--Ada Menken--"Thou, God, knowest."
- For additional biographical information, see The Handbook of Texas Online.
- Last Edited: 8 Oct 2013