Alexander Scammel Cameron Wadsworth
b. 20 May 1908, d. 30 April 1992
- Father: Alexander Scammel Wadsworth Jr. b. 24 August 1883, d. 2 March 1959
- Mother: Eugenia LeGrand Cameron b. 25 December 1889, d. 14 May 1914
- Alexander Scammel Cameron Wadsworth was born on 20 May 1908 in Manhattan, New York.
- Eugenia LeGrand Weaver and Eugenia LeGrand Cameron appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Dover, Kent County, Delaware, boarding at Richardson's Hotel.. Other members of the household included Alexander Scammel Cameron Wadsworth.
- The following appeared on 7 July 1914 in The News & Observer: Mrs. Eugene LeGrand Cameron Platt, wife of Mr. Allen Hemingway Platt, of New York and New Haven, and youngest daughter of the late Gen. and Mrs. Francis Hawks Cameron, of North Carolina and Virginia, died at Shanghai, China, on May 14 in the twenty-third year of her age. Mrs. Platt was the sister of Capt. Francis H. Cameron, U. S. A., and of Mrs. Charles Burnett, of the American Embassy at Topeka, of Mrs. George H. Paine and Mrs. Arthur J. Hanlon. She leaves a little son, Alexander S. Cameron Wadsworth, four years of age. Mrs. Platt had just arrived in the Far East by the Empress of Russia to join Mr. Platt in Shanghai. The remains were taken to Virginia for interment.
General Cameron, father of Mrs. Platt, was adjutant general of the state for many years and lived on the northeast corner of Jones and East street. He died about twenty years ago.
- Eugenia LeGrand Weaver appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Manhattan, New York, at 104 Waverly Place. Other members of the household included Alexander Scammel Cameron Wadsworth. Also in the household was Ruth Wadsworth (age 9), identified as a granddaughter, about whom nothing else is known.
- He married Kay Chaffee.
- Alexander Scammel Cameron Wadsworth became a widower at the 1947 death of his wife Kay Chaffee.
- The following appeared on 21 July 1948 in The Alexandria Town Talk: Mrs. Eugenie LeGrand Cameron, 85, died at the home of General George Paine on the Military Highway, Pineville, Tuesday, June [sic] 20, 1948. She is the widow of the late General Francis Hawks Cameron, of North Carolina and Virginia, and the daughter of the late Dr. Leroy Gardiner Weaver of Selma, Ala., and of Margaret LeGrand, his wife.
Mrs. Cameron is survived by her son, Captain Francis Hawks Cameron, Jr., U. S. Army, retired; her daughters, Mrs. Charles Burnett, widow of General Charles Burnett of Washington D. C., Mrs. George Paine, wife of General George H. Paine, U. S. Army, retired, and Mrs. Arthur J. Hanlon, wife of Colonel Arthur J. Hanlon, U. S. Army, retired, of New York; one grandson, Commander Alexander Scammel Cameron Wadsworth, U. S. Navy.
Burial will be in Selma, Ala., home of her childhood on Saturday, July 24, 1948. Funeral arrangements are under the direction of Hixson Brothers Funeral home.
- He married Lillian Rector.
- Alexander Scammel Cameron Wadsworth became a widower at the 1979 death of his wife Lillian Rector.
- Alexander Scammel Cameron Wadsworth died on 30 April 1992 at age 83 in Maricopa County, Arizona.
- He was interred at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia.
- The following appeared on 13 May 1992 in The Washington Post: Alexander S.C. Wadsworth, 83, a retired Navy captain, died of cancer April 30 at a hospice in Sun City West, Ariz. He lived in the Washington area off and on from the 1930s until he moved from Bethesda to Sun City West in 1979.
Capt. Wadsworth retired from the Navy in 1960 after 30 years of service. His last post was as commanding officer of the Gulfport, Miss., naval station. Until about 1976, he was an administrator with the Naval Communications Command in Washington.
Capt. Wadsworth was a native of New York and a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. He served in the Pacific during World War II.
His first wife, Kay Chaffee, died in 1947. His second wife, Lillian Rector, died in 1979 [sic]. Survivors include two children by his second marriage, Alexis Cameron of Falls Church and Alexander S. Wadsworth of Gaithersburg; and a grandson.
- Last Edited: 6 Aug 2016
Family 1: Kay Chaffee d. 1947
Family 2: Lillian Rector b. 14 November 1926, d. 25 August 1982
- Alexis Cameron Wadsworth b. 9 October 1951, d. 13 March 2006