Pleasant Kittrell Goree
b. 22 May 1845, d. 22 April 1933
- Father: Langston James Goree b. 19 September 1793, d. 5 July 1853
- Mother: Sarah Williams Kittrell b. 26 April 1807, d. 17 June 1903
- Pleasant Kittrell Goree was born on 22 May 1845 in Alabama.
- Sarah Williams Kittrell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Dayton PO, Polk County, Texas. Other members of the household included Pleasant Kittrell Goree, Thomas Jewett Goree, Robert Daniel Goree, Langston James Goree Jr., Edwin King Goree and Susan Margaret Goree. Thomas Jewett Goree also was enumerated as a lawyer in Montgomery County.
- P. K. Goree entered CSA service as a private in Company H, 5th Texas Infantry Regiment, Hood's Brigade, on 11 August 1863 in Polk County. He was detailed 1 December 1863 as Division courier, and appears on a report of passports issued in 1st Division General Hospital, Howard's Grove, at Richmond, Virginia, during the week commencing 20 August 1874, destined for Henderson, North Carolina. He was admitted to the hospital on 17 August 1864, and furloughed for 40 days on the 23rd. He eventually was paid $600 for his gray horse killed in action at Fussell's Mill (Henrico County, Virginia) on 16 August 1864. He appears on a list of prisoners of war paroled at Appomattox Court House, Virginia, on 9 April 1865.
- Thomas Jewett Goree and Eliza Thomas Nolley appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Midway, Madison County, Texas. Other members of the household included Pleasant Kittrell Goree, Edward F. Goree, Lillian Otey and Edwin King Goree.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1870 census.
- He married Mary F. Mangum, daughter of Walter Alvis Mangum and Eliza P. Bullock.
- He married Melissa Young Hayes at after 1878.
- Pleasant Kittrell Goree became a widower at the circa 18 June 1875 death of his wife Mary F. Mangum.
- Pleasant Kittrell Goree and Melissa Young Hayes appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Madison County, Texas. Other members of the household included Fannie M. Goree, Clara A. Goree, Hayes Goree and Mary B. Goree. Census enumerator for the area was Pleasant's brother Edwin King Goree.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1880 census.
- Pleasant Kittrell Goree and Melissa Young Hayes appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Madison County, Texas, enumerated next to the household of Pleasant's sister Sue Hayes.. Other members of the household included Sarah W. Goree and Pleasant Kittrell Goree Jr. Census enumerator for the area was Pleasant Kittrell Goree.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1910 census.
- Pleasant Kittrell Goree became a widower at the 19 October 1930 death of his wife Melissa Young Hayes.
- He officially witnessed the death of Susan Margaret Goree on 7 January 1931 in Midway, Madison County, Texas.
- Pleasant Kittrell Goree died on 22 April 1933 at age 87 in Madison County, Texas.
- He was interred at Midway Cemetery, Madisonville, Madison County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 3 Oct 2012
Family 1: Mary F. Mangum b. 30 October 1846, d. circa 18 June 1875
- Fannie M. Goree b. 16 January 1873, d. 7 January 1965
Family 2: Melissa Young Hayes b. 19 June 1856, d. 19 October 1930
- Clara A. Goree b. October 1876
- Hayes Goree b. 23 August 1878, d. 18 January 1969
- Mary B. Goree b. circa February 1880
- William Langston Goree+ b. 22 October 1881, d. 24 November 1972
- Sarah W. Goree b. circa 1884
- Pleasant Kittrell Goree Jr.+ b. 24 August 1886, d. 1 March 1979